AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My parents need to upgrade their sound system so I'm selling them my current setup and planning on upgrading mine.

Currently I have

Denon AVR-591 reciever

HSU STF-1 Sub

4 Athena B1.2 bookshelf speakers for the fronts and surrounds and the corresponding center (I forget the model #, its an old line)

I want to give my parents the speakers + receiver and keep the sub. I'm looking at the Denon 1713 for my new receiver and was hoping for some speaker recommendations for the fronts/center/surrounds.

I want to switch to floor standers for the fronts and let those dictate essentially which surrounds/center to get. Hoping to spend up to like $800 for the 5 speakers, something like $400 on the fronts + 400 on the center+surrounds.

Some floorstanders I've been looking at:

Polk Rti8 $400 on the ebay page

Polk Monitor 70 $375 refurb on ebay

Polk Monitor 75's (they seem to go on sale on newegg I've gathered)

Primus P363's (seem to go on sale at frys)

Boston Acoustic A250's

JBL ES80's

BIC AMerica FH-6T's

Any other suggestions or comments on these?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
7,718 Posts
I'd recommend spending the entire $800 on the best front L/R you can get and upgrade the rest as finances allow. Are you open to this idea?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not really because I want to get my parents on their way too. What you're suggesting would work better if it was just me

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I noticed those white ones when I was searching around this forum for ideas, but unfortunately white matches nothing for me. Black or wood color go with my decor.

My only concern about the A250 was the lack of a midrange driver vs. some of the other speakers I listed. Is that an unfounded concern?

·
Registered
354 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,718 Posts
Ascend Acoustics is running a sale right now. You could get the CMT-340SEs and the matching center for $796 (plus shipping). IMHO, that would be a great start. Add the HTM-200SEs for surrounds later and a decent sub and that would be a great system. Otherwise, I would consider the Bostons already mentioned or the Infinity Primus series (P363s front L/R, PC351 center, and P163s for surrounds). Fry's often has the Infinities on sale and Amazon often has some pretty good deals as well.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If I was going to go the ascend route would I be better off getting the CBM-170 for surrounds? It's the same price.

ANy other suggestions overall?

·
Registered
6,308 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardothewan  /t/1476526/5-0-speaker-suggestions-for-800-total#post_23418283

If I was going to go the ascend route would I be better off getting the CBM-170 for surrounds? It's the same price.

ANy other suggestions overall?
fwiw, the choice is yours the htm 200se's are smaller and are closed ported so they can be attached on or close to a wall. where as the cbm 170se's are larger and rear ported and will need a little space between them and the wall. imo ,if you have space and listen to some 5.1 music the cbm 170 se would be my choice, but if just for movies and are limited on space the htm 200se would be my choice

·
Registered
2,069 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
The Arx look like a good choice and the ribbon tweeter would be nice to have. Good luck on your decision. I know I am currently torn between either Ascend or Arx.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtpsuper24  /t/1476526/5-0-speaker-suggestions-for-800-total#post_23418725

Five Arx A1b bookshelfs all around. http://www.theaudioinsider.com/index.php?loudspeakers=arx&cPath=21_32&

Use the single A1b and rotate the tweeter for horizontal use as a center and use the others for fronts and surrounds. Very capable system right in your price range.

Any reason not to get the A2c center if I got Arx route?

I was kind of leaning floorstanders since the room the system is in is pretty big, particularly the ceiling is actually the 2nd floor ceiling/roof. Still both these Ascends and Arx seem to get rave reviews.

I did see what looks like the JBL ES80BK to be on sale for $288 a pair at frys. Anybody with experience on those? Seemed like some reviews said they need more power?

·
Registered
2,069 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardothewan  /t/1476526/5-0-speaker-suggestions-for-800-total#post_23422397

Any reason not to get the A2c center if I got Arx route?

I was kind of leaning floorstanders since the room the system is in is pretty big, particularly the ceiling is actually the 2nd floor ceiling/roof. Still both these Ascends and Arx seem to get rave reviews.

No reason, other than its not instock yet and has no actual date for release. The reason alot are recommending bookshelfs is your getting a higher quality speakers, whether its Arx or Ascend with your current budget. It would be tough to squeeze towers into an $800 budget for a 5.0 setup. And still have enough for center and surrounds, without going totally crappy towers.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtpsuper24  /t/1476526/5-0-speaker-suggestions-for-800-total#post_23422615

No reason, other than its not instock yet and has no actual date for release. The reason alot are recommending bookshelfs is your getting a higher quality speakers, whether its Arx or Ascend with your current budget. It would be tough to squeeze towers into an $800 budget for a 5.0 setup. And still have enough for center and surrounds, without going totally crappy towers.
Oh you're right I only noticed that blurb under their floorstanders. If I went to $1k would it help?

Lastly should I look at the wharfdale diamond 10.1's too in bookshelves? How do they stack up?

Thanks!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts