AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
AVS Forum members,

Would like you to share some of your expertise. I have large great room that is 23' deep, 20' wide and '10' tall. Would like to put in a 5.1.4 Atmos home theater audio system. A 7.1.4 system won't work because of the adjacent kitchen and lack of a side location due to this. I have a basement underneath so wire routing under the floor is no problem. Don't want to put holes in the wall but have run wiring adjacent the window frame in the back of the room for an upper speaker location. Not the case for the front of the room. Will need to bounce the sound off the ceiling with upward firing speakers on the front, and potentially the back if higher mounted speakers adjacent the window frame won't work.

Looking for recommendations for an AV receiver, center channel speaker, sub, floor mounted left and right speakers and separate or integral upward firing front speakers. My budget is $4k, possibly stretching to $5k. Have one additional constraint in that the space for the center channel speaker is 24" wide so can't have anything wider than that.

Plan on moving my existing Boston Acoustics floor mounted speakers to the back of the room and keeping my existing rear channel wall mounted (next to the window frame) Boston Acoustics speakers for the rear Atmos channels. Will a location far up the wall work for the Atmos effect or will I need upward firing speakers instead? Existing wall mounted speaker location is about 2' below the 10' high ceiling.

Please provide your thoughts on good system components for the price and any other guidance that you have.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
AVS Forum members,

Would like you to share some of your expertise. I have large great room that is 23' deep, 20' wide and '10' tall. Would like to put in a 5.1.4 Atmos home theater audio system. A 7.1.4 system won't work because of the adjacent kitchen and lack of a side location due to this. I have a basement underneath so wire routing under the floor is no problem. Don't want to put holes in the wall but have run wiring adjacent the window frame in the back of the room for an upper speaker location. Not the case for the front of the room. Will need to bounce the sound off the ceiling with upward firing speakers on the front, and potentially the back if higher mounted speakers adjacent the window frame won't work.

Looking for recommendations for an AV receiver, center channel speaker, sub, floor mounted left and right speakers and separate or integral upward firing front speakers. My budget is $4k, possibly stretching to $5k. Have one additional constraint in that the space for the center channel speaker is 24" wide so can't have anything wider than that.

Plan on moving my existing Boston Acoustics floor mounted speakers to the back of the room and keeping my existing rear channel wall mounted (next to the window frame) Boston Acoustics speakers for the rear Atmos channels. Will a location far up the wall work for the Atmos effect or will I need upward firing speakers instead? Existing wall mounted speaker location is about 2' below the 10' high ceiling.

Please provide your thoughts on good system components for the price and any other guidance that you have.

Thanks.
I really think you need to post a sketch of your room... And then I bet the replies will come rolling in.

-T

1 - 2 of 2 Posts