AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I was hoping for some advice on the locations for speakers in the room layout here:

I'm looking to build a Dolby 5.1.4 Atmos experience. House is still under construction build would need pre-wiring options done by end of february.

·
Registered
8,791 Posts
Don't see a layout. But just go to the Dolby website and it will show the proper speaker layout for a 9 channel Atmos system.

·
Registered
8,791 Posts
Layout below:
Determine your listening/viewing distance. Then use the dolby guide as to where to install the in ceiling speakers for Atmos. Don't put Atmos speakers in the corners of the wall/ceiling juncture.

Rear surrounds just above and behind your listening position if possible.

·
Premium Member
7,836 Posts
This link provide you with all option, once you click on your configuration.
On the bottom right, there will be a pdf file to open, click on it, and it will provide you with all you need to know:)
Unfortunately, no direct link can be posted for this file.
Also two files are available, one for ceiling speakers, and the other one for enable speakers

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/dolby-atmos-speaker-setup/index.html

Good luck

Just a few words of wisdom, from experience.
Take your time doing-it, and remember to have fun while doing it.
Do not worry to achieve the perfect front and back to the MLP angles, very few set-up can achieve this, just as close as you can.
Snags (problems) do and will happen, just step back and take a breather to figure a way around it:)
At the end it will work out:D

Ray

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This link provide you with all option, once you click on your configuration.
On the bottom right, there will be a pdf file to open, click on it, and it will provide you with all you need to know:)
Unfortunately, no direct link can be posted for this file.
Also two files are available, one for ceiling speakers, and the other one for enable speakers

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/dolby-atmos-speaker-setup/index.html

Good luck

Just a few words of wisdom, from experience.
Take your time doing-it, and remember to have fun while doing it.
Do not worry to achieve the perfect front and back to the MLP angles, very few set-up can achieve this, just as close as you can.
Snags (problems) do and will happen, just step back and take a breather to figure a way around it:)
At the end it will work out:D

Ray
For a 5.1.4 layout, place 3 speakers on the front wall, 2 surround speakers on the side walls (slightly rearward of your listening position) and 4 height speakers on the ceiling at the corners of a 10' x 10' square centered on the main listening position.

Thanks everyone, Just trying to see in my layout if I need to go for a speakerstance or how else to place them.

·
Registered
29,204 Posts
Just trying to see in my layout if I need to go for a speakerstance or how else to place them.
Wall mounts would be my first choice, at least for the surrounds, placed a foot or two above seated ear height. If you look at the words "9 Feet High" in your drawing, you'll notice that one wall is about to end and become an opening. That would be a good location for the right surround speaker. Directly opposite is a skinny section of wall between two windows. That would be a good location for the left surround speaker. Use the kind of wall mounts that allow you to tilt & point the speaker so that you can aim them towards the listening area.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wall mounts would be my first choice, at least for the surrounds, placed a foot or two above seated ear height. If you look at the words "9 Feet High" in your drawing, you'll notice that one wall is about to end and become an opening. That would be a good location for the right surround speaker. Directly opposite is a skinny section of wall between two windows. That would be a good location for the left surround speaker. Use the kind of wall mounts that allow you to tilt & point the speaker so that you can aim them towards the listening area.

Great Idea! Thank you. The space is 7 1/4", Do you think a mount would fit in between that ? Any Idea which speakerset is nice and not too bulky? Martin Logan?

·
Registered
29,204 Posts
The space is 7 1/4", Do you think a mount would fit in between that ?
Sure, the part that attaches to the wall is usually pretty small.

Any Idea which speakerset is nice and not too bulky? Martin Logan?
If you like Martin Logan, try their Motion FX or Motion 4i speakers. Either will work well as surround speakers (the 4i will also make an excellent overhead speaker for Atmos/DTS:X).

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sure, the part that attaches to the wall is usually pretty small.

If you like Martin Logan, try their Motion FX or Motion 4i speakers. Either will work well as surround speakers (the 4i will also make an excellent overhead speaker for Atmos/DTS:X).

Awesome! What are good Ceiling speakers? Budget doesn't matter.

·
Registered
181 Posts
For a 5.1.4 layout, place 3 speakers on the front wall, 2 surround speakers on the side walls (slightly rearward of your listening position) and 4 height speakers on the ceiling at the corners of a 10' x 10' square centered on the main listening position.
hi there...I hope you get this message...I have been having some fun with my new Denon AVR4400 atmos receiver. I 'm running it as 5.1.4. My room is not ideal- my couch is against the back wall- 12 feet away from the TV- ceiling is 9 feet tall...ceiling is flat.
I tried Front Height and Dolby enable surrounds (ELAC sitting on top of the surrounds on each side of my couch). This was ok. Can't say that I can hear sounds from above...and I set my Denon to Front Height and Dolby Surrounds...
then I got curious about the Klipsch atmos modules and I got a pair and placed them on top of the left and right front speakers. They looked fantastic-nice design. but I can't say that this set up worked better than when I had the Front Height speakers...so I returned them and reconnected the FH speakers...
but I'm wondering if placing 2 bookshelf speakers on the back wall-at the same height as the Front Height and aimed down at the couch would give me a better atmos (and DTS-X) experience than using my current ELAC? or should I place them instead high on the side walls aiming at the listening position and select Surround Height if there is such a setting in my Denon or just call them Rear Height? hmm..maybe I'm just overcomplicating things...your advice of placing them at the back top corner sounds good...but I hear that speakers don't sound their best when placed in corner. I have 4 identical Paradigm Atoms..
what would be your opinion for this simple 5.1.4 system?

thanks a lot for any info
E

·
Registered
29,204 Posts
I'm wondering if placing 2 bookshelf speakers on the back wall-at the same height as the Front Height and aimed down at the couch would give me a better atmos (and DTS-X) experience than using my current ELAC? or should I place them instead high on the side walls aiming at the listening position and select Surround Height if there is such a setting in my Denon or just call them Rear Height?
Place them as high up as possible on the side walls, aimed down towards the listening area (pointed at the listener at the opposite end of the couch). When you listen using only 2 speakers in front of you, you've probably noticed that there is all sorts of phantom imaging between the speakers. Same thing happens above you. Even though those speakers are high up on the side walls, you should hear phantom imaging in between (i.e., directly overhead). Designate the speakers as Top Rear or Rear Height.
your advice of placing them at the back top corner sounds good...but I hear that speakers don't sound their best when placed in corner.
The extra reflective surfaces in a corner has the potential to muddy the front soundstage, so I wouldn't do that with my front speakers (unless they were designed for corner placement). But with surrounds and heights, the extra reflections will sound more enveloping.
I have 4 identical Paradigm Atoms..what would be your opinion for this simple 5.1.4 system?
Never hear those speakers. But if you can separate sounds around you from sounds above you, then you've accomplished a proper Atmos/DTS:X layout.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Place them as high up as possible on the side walls, aimed down towards the listening area (pointed at the listener at the opposite end of the couch). When you listen using only 2 speakers in front of you, you've probably noticed that there is all sorts of phantom imaging between the speakers. Same thing happens above you. Even though those speakers are high up on the side walls, you should hear phantom imaging in between (i.e., directly overhead). Designate the speakers as Top Rear or Rear Height. The extra reflective surfaces in a corner has the potential to muddy the front soundstage, so I wouldn't do that with my front speakers (unless they were designed for corner placement). But with surrounds and heights, the extra reflections will sound more enveloping. Never hear those speakers. But if you can separate sounds around you from sounds above you, then you've accomplished a proper Atmos/DTS:X layout.
awesome...I will try the bookshelf speakers placed high on the side walls... i wish I could place a pair of in-ceiling speakers right on top of the listening position-I think that would be great, but trying the bookshelf on the side might be better than using the bouncing effect of the ELACs...sounds like a small "science project" for the weekend...I wonder what the difference is between designating them as top rear or rear height...I guess with top rear the AVR considers them as "in-ceiling"...and since my couch is against the back wall, there is no way to get them behind me anyways...I will try it this weekend

thanks
E

·
Registered
29,204 Posts
I wonder what the difference is between designating them as top rear or rear height...
If you had a 7.1 layout at ear level: Top Middle would be above the Side speakers, Top Rear would be mid way between the Side & Rear speakers, Rear Height would be above the Rear speakers. You can try all three settings to see which one gives the best results.

·
Registered
181 Posts
If you had a 7.1 layout at ear level: Top Middle would be above the Side speakers, Top Rear would be mid way between the Side & Rear speakers, Rear Height would be above the Rear speakers. You can try all three settings to see which one gives the best results.
thanks! I have a 5.1 base system...I will try a few combinations...great
E

·
Registered
181 Posts
Hi there...experimenting with speaker placement can be fun...I contacted SVS to ask about my current set up which is a hybrid: front Height and Dolby Surrounds and also about how their SVS prime elevation works and how to use one or two pairs in a 5.1.4 and this is what they suggested:

"You will get much better results with two pair of Prime Elevation mounted either on the ceiling or high on the side walls. Place the overhead speakers as shown in the below diagram. If you can’t do ceiling placement, then just keep the recommended fore/aft locations but move them outboard to the sidewalls.
If you can only afford one pair at a time, mount the first pair in the fore location and use the ELAC modules in the rear temporarily."

I'm attaching the diagram...
interesting suggestion! I had thought of trying one pair of SVS elevation as Rear Height instead of my ELAC but using them on the side walls would get them closer to the MLP and the effect may be improved? but if I did this, what would I assign them as in the denon AVR4400? top front? top Middle? Would I still be able to get DTS-X? I thought only FH & RH worked for all 3D sound stuff...
Maybe I'm just complicating it too much! what do you think?
So far using the FH with a pair of bookshelf speakers and using the ELAC atmos on top of the side surrounds has given me some results-without comparing it to a optimized atmos setup (maybe I should go to Best Buy and take a listen) I can't say how much "I'm missing" or not..

I guess to test before buying, I could move the Front Height speakers i have right now and mount them on the side walls as the diagram indicates, tilt down a bit- then re run audyssey and take a listen...but an informed opinion would be welcome.
thanks
E

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts