AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, all. New member and first post....

My current system consists of a Pioneer VSX-1021-K receiver and a set of MartinLogan MLT-1 5.1 speaker set within a 13'x19' room. It's been a decent pairing that I've been happy with. The Pioneer has been slowly dying over the last couple of months from the dreaded UA22 error, but has rapidly degraded over the last week and needed to be replaced immediately. I decided I wanted to do a Dolby Atmos 5.1.4 system and picked up a factory refurb Denon AVR-X4300H receiver from an authorized reseller. For the time being, I'm going to initially stick with the MLT-1 speakers.

That being said, I want to start planning the rest of the pieces for the 5.1.4 system, prioritize which parts come first (funds being the reason for this), and make a first initial purchase. I wont be using overhead speaker and instead use ceiling bounce speakers. I don't have a budget in place, but I do want to hear notable gains over the current system, so I'll pay accordingly. I have no brand loyalty and my primary usage is gaming and movies. Would love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
If you like your VSX 1021 check the Receiver Amp & Processor forum and read the EU22 error thread . You can get your AVR repaired free of charge by Pioneer/Onkyo. Even if you are set on replacing it you may want to get it repaired son you can sell it or gift it to someone.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you like your VSX 1021 check the Receiver Amp & Processor forum and read the EU22 error thread . You can get your AVR repaired free of charge by Pioneer/Onkyo.

UE22, yes. Not UA like I wrote. Ok, cool. I’ll check that out, for sure. Thanks.

·
Registered
21,727 Posts
Hey, all. New member and first post....

My current system consists of a Pioneer VSX-1021-K receiver and a set of MartinLogan MLT-1 5.1 speaker set within a 13'x19' room. It's been a decent pairing that I've been happy with. The Pioneer has been slowly dying over the last couple of months from the dreaded UA22 error, but has rapidly degraded over the last week and needed to be replaced immediately. I decided I wanted to do a Dolby Atmos 5.1.4 system and picked up a factory refurb Denon AVR-X4300H receiver from an authorized reseller. For the time being, I'm going to initially stick with the MLT-1 speakers.

That being said, I want to start planning the rest of the pieces for the 5.1.4 system, prioritize which parts come first (funds being the reason for this), and make a first initial purchase. I wont be using overhead speaker and instead use ceiling bounce speakers. I don't have a budget in place, but I do want to hear notable gains over the current system, so I'll pay accordingly. I have no brand loyalty and my primary usage is gaming and movies. Would love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks.
I'd start by upgrading the center and sub and adding the in ceiling speakers.

The small satellites can suffice for now.

I'd buy a few centers from Best Buy, (free returns), and Crutchfield, ($10 returns), and test them at home until you settle on a winner.

You'll have to tell us more about the space you are trying to fill with sound and how far away you sit but as you are happy with the rather small speakers you have already a dual 5.25" center would be a significant upgrade.

A few to consider with inexpensive returns and under $300 each.

Klipsch RP250c
Elac UniFi UC5
Moitor Audio Bronze
Polk Signature S30
JBL Studio 235c, (JBL Direct has free returns)
Aperion 5C (free returns)
HTD Level Three (free returns)

For in ceilings I'd look at Polk and RSL, (no need to match ceiling brand to other 5 speakers).

For subs, any of these are upgrades from what you have now.

PORTED SUBWOOFERS $600 AND BELOW, DELIVERED

NOTE: IF LOOKING AT LARGER/MORE EXPENSIVE SUBWOOFERS ADD PSA TO THE LIST OF BRANDS

ALSO, IF YOU ARE NOT AN ACTION MOVIE FAN A SUBWOOFER WITH 22-30HZ EXTENSION WOULD BE FINE

Specs are from the manufacturer unless noted otherwise.

150watts =11w18h13d= 18 lbs 8" [28hz] $199 EMOTIVA BASX S8

200watts =14w16h16d= 34 lbs 10" [27hz] $299 EMOTIVA BASX S10

300watts =17w18h18d= 49 lbs 12" [22hz] $399 EMOTIVA BASX S12, (extension from Brent Butterworth measurement)

350watts =15w16h17d= 40 lbs 10" [30hz] $399 RSL SPEEDWOOFER 10S, (extension from Sound & Vision review)

200 watts =16w19h17d= 52 lbs 12" [22hz] $439 HTD LEVEL THREE

250watts =15w19h17d= 42 lbs 10" [22hz] $453 HSU VTF 1 MK3

400watts =17w21hx22d= 66 lbs 12" [19hz] $500 SVS PB12 NSD, (extension from Sound & Vision Review)
THE Amazon OFFER IS FOR A VERY LIMITED TIME ONLY

300watts =15w19h20d= 46 lbs 10" [18hz] $499 SVS PB1000, (extension from Sound & Vision Review)

500watts =15w19h20d= 72 lbs 10" [20hz] $500 MONOPRICE MONOLITH THX 10"

300watts =16w22h21d= 69 lbs* 12" [19hz] $549 RHYTHMIK LV12R

350watts =15w21h22d= 62 lbs 12" [18hz] $604 HSU VTF2 MK5, (verified by Audioholics review)

* = shipping weight

SEALED SUBWOOFERS $650 AND BELOW, DELIVERED

300watts =13w14h16d= 27 lbs 12" [23hz] $499 SVS SB1000, (extension from Sound & Vision)

400watts =15w14hx14d= 35 lbs 12" [21hz] $400 SVS SB12 NSD, (extension from Audioholics Review)
THE Amazon OFFER IS FOR A VERY LIMITED TIME ONLY

300watts =14w14h16d= 58 lbs* 12" [18hz] $539 RHYTHMIK L12

500watts =14w15h17d= 35 lbs 12" [19hz] $649 SVS SB2000 outlet, (extension from Sound & Vision)
* = shipping weight

·
Registered
730 Posts
I wont be using overhead speaker and instead use ceiling bounce speakers.
Not sure, but I think some floor speakers include the Atmos bounce speakers (already built in)
or you can use an add-on bounce speaker.

Which do you prefer?

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Before investing in up firing Atmos go to dolby's website and make sure your room is a good candidate for up firing atmos. The room specs for this setup are quite narrow and produce a smaller sweet spot than height or in-ceiling speaker configurations.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd start by upgrading the center and sub and adding the in ceiling speakers.
Not sure, but I think some floor speakers include the Atmos bounce speakers (already built in) or you can use an add-on bounce speaker. Which do you prefer?
Before investing in up firing Atmos go to dolby's website and make sure your room is a good candidate for up firing atmos. The room specs for this setup are quite narrow and produce a smaller sweet spot than height or in-ceiling speaker configurations.
Thanks for everyone’s reply.

I decided to focus on just getting a really nice, really solid 5.1 setup done before doing anything else. That will be done piece by piece and over some time. Afterwards, I’ll look at doing a proper Atmos install with ceiling speakers, but I’m not going to think that far ahead yet. I’m simply not there yet.

I was going to start with just looking at my front speakers first. Maybe a budget of around $500 for the pair? Then the matching center after. Was looking at things like the Elac Uni-fi UB5 (with the Uni-fi UC5 later), Klipsch RP-160M (with the RP-250C later), and HTD Level THREE bookshelf (with Level THREE center later). What do you guys think? Is this the right path to take? Is there others I should be looking at?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I decided to focus on just getting a really nice, really solid 5.1 setup done before doing anything else. That will be done piece by piece and over some time. Afterwards, I’ll look at doing a proper Atmos install with ceiling speakers, but I’m not going to think that far ahead yet. I’m simply not there yet.

I was going to start with just looking at my front speakers first. Maybe a budget of around $500 for the pair? Then the matching center after. Was looking at things like the Elac Uni-fi UB5 (with the Uni-fi UC5 later), Klipsch RP-160M (with the RP-250C later), and HTD Level THREE bookshelf (with Level THREE center later). What do you guys think? Is this the right path to take? Is there others I should be looking at?

·
Registered
21,727 Posts

Do a simple experiment when you are playing a movie in 5.1.

Unplug the positive terminal on the back of both left and right speakers to see how much you "lose" when they are out of the picture.

This gives you an idea of how much they contribute to the overall sound experience of 5.1.

Then reconnect them and unplug the positive terminal on the back of the center speaker to see how much you lose.

Replace the speaker(s) that make the most impact first.

If music in stereo is a big part of your use then obviously the left and right are the most important but I'll let you do the simple experiment and give us your results.

Keep in mind that in early summer the Klipsch RP series will go on STEEP discount as the new line is set to come in August so they need to clear out the old before then.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts