AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How important is it to have a receiver that accepts hdmi audio when using the ps3? I've heard the optical out won't even pass full 5.1.

Is a 7.1 system worth it for blue ray movies on the ps3?

·
Registered
578 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drago6817 /forum/post/15579056

How important is it to have a receiver that accepts hdmi audio when using the ps3? I've heard the optical out won't even pass full 5.1.

Is a 7.1 system worth it for blue ray movies on the ps3?

Optical passes DD5.1 or DTS5.1 or anything else that fits in the 1.5 Mb/s available bandwidth in "bitstream" mode, with no issue. From there, it is up to your HTR to decode that. For folks that insist that the PS3 should do the decoding from DD5.1 or DTS5.1 or whatever and then pass that as PCM to the HTR, the 1.5 Mb/s bandwidth of SPDIF/Toslink optical limits what you can send to the HTR to 2 channel stereo. If you have an HTR that accepts audio over HDMI, then you can have the PS3 decode and then send as 5.1 or 7.1 discrete PCM. Or you could just have the PS3 send the "bitstream" audio track to the receiver for decoding there. There may be advantages one way or another, depending on which formats your HTR can decode Vs. which the PS3 can decode. Even if both can decode a given format, you may prefer the way one sounds, over the other.

P.J.

·
Banned
2,969 Posts
To be honest there really isnt alot of Blu-Ray movies mastered in 7.1, so you would need to matrix a 5.1 mastered movie into 7.1 anyway with a setting like PLxii (I think thats what it is). Heres a link to movies that are mastered in 7.1, 6.1, and 5.1 click this

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
...but, if you're in the market, it wouldn't hurt to splurge a little bit more and get something (likely) future proof. i got a 7.1 system, but don't have the other 2 speakers yet. when i move my set up downstairs, i can add them. sounds great for now.

·
Banned
2,969 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper1010 /forum/post/15580204

...but, if you're in the market, it wouldn't hurt to splurge a little bit more and get something (likely) future proof. i got a 7.1 system, but don't have the other 2 speakers yet. when i move my set up downstairs, i can add them. sounds great for now.

True...If I lived closer to Atlanta where a guy was selling some Rocket 450's for a smoking price I'd have 7.1 right now.

·
Registered
7,513 Posts
7.1 is a significant difference if you have heard it.

The difference between 7.1 and 5.1 is this.

5.1 is like a semi circle coming up to your seating position and simulating surround sounds behind you.

7.1 completes the circle and puts you more in the action and surrounds you more is how I describe it.

As mentioned there aren't a lot of 7.1 tracks and not all are the same or have the same affect. Some are more pronounced in the rear speakers than others.

·
Banned
2,969 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughmc /forum/post/15581567

7.1 is a significant difference if you have heard it.

The difference between 7.1 and 5.1 is this. 2 MORE SPEAKERS

OK fixed it for ya

·
Registered
7,513 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phipp01 /forum/post/15581702

OK fixed it for ya

Yeah, put those two additional speakers up front or on the side and they might as well be in Moscow. It is two speakers, but where they are placed and what sound is directed to them by the source makes the difference between "surround" and being surrounded. A difference enough that you feel even more part of andf inside the sound mix than just standing on the fringes of it.

·
Registered
763 Posts

drago6817;Is a 7.1 system worth it for blue ray movies on the ps3?[/QUOTE said:
IMO, yes...more movies coming out in 7.1 and if you are a gamer, many games out are in 7.1. With those 2 combined, well worth it...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts