AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to determine if there is any quality advantage of using HDMI over multichannel for True HD, DTS HD? Reason is, I'm considering purchasing a BD Hi Res player with Multichannel out.

·
Registered
30,710 Posts
Depends on what you are connecting it to. I prefer using HDMI because it permits use of the bass management, DSP and room correction on the processor.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
I would not expect multi-channel analog to sound better. Unless you get into that whole "which DAC is better" camp. And a better DAC would be offset by having to run a bunch of cables, wouldn't it? I mean, these audiophiles think they need $200 AC cords for the best sound. You could certainly try it both ways if you have time and the cables, or the money for the cables.

Pragmatism suggests you simply run HDMI, unless you run into issues.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson /forum/post/12913639

Depends on what you are connecting it to. I prefer using HDMI because it permits use of the bass management, DSP and room correction on the processor.

Thanks Kal. I'm tossed between the Pioneer VSX-1017TXV-K and Onkyo TX-SR 605...similarly priced but the Pioneer is THX certified and packs more RMS power without the distortion. The Onkyo has the True HD and DTS-HD MA decoder built in and HDMI 1.3. I'm not interested in having either receiver manage my video signal so features pertaining to video are irrelevant to me. I do have some follow up questions though. Is room correction the same as the "Auto Speaker Setup" and isn't that feature internally generated by the receiver and has nothing to do with the inputs? Also, what exactly do you mean by bass mgmt? Thanks

·
Registered
30,710 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nex10 /forum/post/12923730

Is room correction the same as the "Auto Speaker Setup"..............

No. Audyssey manages both in the Onkyo but many AVRs have auto set-up without roomEQ.

Quote:
.......... and isn't that feature internally generated by the receiver and has nothing to do with the inputs?

RoomEQ and other processing is done in the digital domain and, in general, most AVRs cannot redigitize the analog inputs (nor would we want to).

Quote:
Also, what exactly do you mean by bass mgmt?

Try wikipedia or google.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman /forum/post/12913713

I didn't realize I had a choice. Am I wrong in thinking that a player that decodes True HD/DTS-HD can send that signal via HDMI only if the receiver supports True HD/DTS-HD? I'm considering the Pioneer 1017 and the Onkyo 605. The Pioneer does not decode True HD or DTS-HD.

If I'm wrong and the Pioneer would accept an uncompromising HDMI interface from a player that has the HD audio decoding, then why is there so much hype about the True HD/DTS-HD feature on receivers?

·
Registered
30,710 Posts
If the player can decode TrueHD to PCM, it can send it to most any AVR with an HDMI 1.1 or better input.

If the player cannot decode it but must send it as Bitstream, only the more modern AVRs will do.

Same holds for dts Master Audio.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson /forum/post/12924119

If the player can decode TrueHD to PCM, it can send it to most any AVR with an HDMI 1.1 or better input.

If the player cannot decode it but must send it as Bitstream, only the more modern AVRs will do.

Same holds for dts Master Audio.

Appreciate all the info Kal, this clears it up a lot. I'm cursed with a great appreciation for pure, rich, quality music and can really distinct differences from various sources but don't have the budget for it so I'm always looking for the best value to get the best of both worlds. I found a great link on bass mgmt at HT Magazine...it answers many more questions I had. Thanks again.

·
Registered
8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman /forum/post/12913713

I would not expect multi-channel analog to sound better. Unless you get into that whole "which DAC is better" camp. And a better DAC would be offset by having to run a bunch of cables, wouldn't it? I mean, these audiophiles think they need $200 AC cords for the best sound. You could certainly try it both ways if you have time and the cables, or the money for the cables.

I have replaced my Sony Blu-Ray with a Panasonic BD - 55 but my receiver Marantz SR 8500 has no HDMI inputs only DVI inputs. I plan to connect via HDMI direct to my Sam Sung 61" DLP. The Marantz has the 7.1 audio in and I was thinking of buying more cables to support the 7.1 on the Marantz but it sounds like I will be sacrificing the audio quality by going analog vs digital. I had thought about buying a Denon 4308ci or Onkyo 906 which would eliminate this problem and keep me more on the cutting edge as far as decoding the latest formats (True HD / DTS - MA). If I dont buy another receiver then is there that big a difference in sound going analog?

·
Registered
480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wes808 /forum/post/15080501

I have replaced my Sony Blu-Ray with a Panasonic BD - 55 but my receiver Marantz SR 8500 has no HDMI inputs only DVI inputs. I plan to connect via HDMI direct to my Sam Sung 61" DLP. The Marantz has the 7.1 audio in and I was thinking of buying more cables to support the 7.1 on the Marantz but it sounds like I will be sacrificing the audio quality by going analog vs digital. I had thought about buying a Denon 4308ci or Onkyo 906 which would eliminate this problem and keep me more on the cutting edge as far as decoding the latest formats (True HD / DTS - MA). If I dont buy another receiver then is there that big a difference in sound going analog?

I think you'll be fine with your BD-55 and SR 8500. I have a Panasonic BD-50 hooked up to an Anthem AVM 30 via analog and it sounds great. Get ready to fall in love with the new audio formats.

·
Registered
8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzybk /forum/post/15080690

I think you'll be fine with your BD-55 and SR 8500. I have a Panasonic BD-50 hooked up to an Anthem AVM 30 via analog and it sounds great. Get ready to fall in love with the new audio formats.

Thank you fuzzybk!!! I will save the $$ and try the Marantz with the 7.1 hookup. I am looking fwd to the new formats.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts