AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When running the DVD through HDMI to a new HDTV, and running an optical audio out from the DVD to an AVR, the HDTV outputs no sound (AVR fine 5.1)

When I set up the HDTV with component in Video and L/R stereo jacks it works just fine (stereo), including the AVR keeping the audio optical (5.1).

So my guess is the HDMI is sending a 5.1 audio feed to the HDTV (because the optical out is also plugged in) and the HDTV can't read it.

If that is true, I am glad there are two HDTV component ins for when I pick up my HD DVR. I would have to set it up the same way, or keep changing PCM audio to 5.1 in my cable box everytime I wanted to use the AVR.

Can anyone confirm this or am I just screwing something up?

regards,

Red

·
Registered
9,082 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcad /forum/post/15519152

When running the DVD through HDMI to a new HDTV, and running an optical audio out from the DVD to an AVR, the HDTV outputs no sound (AVR fine 5.1)

When I set up the HDTV with component in Video and L/R stereo jacks it works just fine (stereo), including the AVR keeping the audio optical (5.1).

So my guess is the HDMI is sending a 5.1 audio feed to the HDTV (because the optical out is also plugged in) and the HDTV can't read it.

It's hard to tell without knowing your equipment and settings. Some disc players have HDMI audio settings. Perhaps yours is set to off.

With most TVs you can run HDMI for video and L/R stereo for audio, the same as you did with component. That's done to accomodate components with DVI outputs.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander /forum/post/15519202

It's hard to tell without knowing your equipment and settings. Some disc players have HDMI audio settings. Perhaps yours is set to off.

With most TVs you can run HDMI for video and L/R stereo for audio, the same as you did with component. That's done to accomodate components with DVI outputs.

Thanks!

I will check my JVC DVD for the settings to see if if the HDMI audio is switched off. But if it cuts the optical out, I will leave it the way it is.

How did you split the sound on your cable box, assuming it is HD & 5.1 capable?

regards,

Red

·
Registered
9,082 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcad /forum/post/15519266

I will check my JVC DVD for the settings to see if if the HDMI audio is switched off. But if it cuts the optical out, I will leave it the way it is.

How did you split the sound on your cable box, assuming it is HD & 5.1 capable?

HDMI to the TV and optical to the receiver. I have a Motorola DCT3412 from Comcast and get stereo PCM to the TV and DD 5.1 over optocal to my receiver.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts