AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. Perhaps a very silly question, but I've done a bunch of googling and even searched around this site and couldn't find an answer. Here's my query:

I'm not sure I'm getting full 5.1 out of my Vista PC. I'm using the onboard optical out, converting it to coaxial, which connects to my Home Theater in a Box, a very low end Yamaha 5.1 setup. Sounds great with my PS3 and 360, but not nearly as impressive when I watch downloaded hi-def movies or TV shows (which have 5.1 audio). I downloaded some test audio files and I seem to be stuck in stereo.

The onboard audio is from a Intel P965 Viiv Motherboard, with the Sigmatel STAC9271 audio codec. I have the latest drivers for that (that I could find; 6.10.5405.0). I'm running this on 32-bit Windows Vista Ultimate, if that makes any difference.

What gets me is when I go to Playback Devices in Windows, I have the SPDIF output selected, and it works, but I can't access the Configure button. The option is grayed out and can't be clicked. All of the other Playback Device options allow for configuration, where you can set up the audio environment, all except the one I want.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated guys. And please let me know if I'm in the wrong area or doing something entirely retarded. Thanks.

P.S. Would I be better off outputting audio from my Radeon 4850? Apparently it has HD audio out, but the only digital audio input on my home theater receiver is that coaxial input (which is why i had to get the optical-coaxial converter).

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
What software do you use when playing the HD movies?

I use VLC and when playing, I right click on the player and go into audio and choose 5.1.

If you're already doing that, then I cant help you with this anymore.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts