AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can any body provide a recommendation on a Home Theater in a Box for $1-2k, would like it to be 5.1 capable. I was considering a Bose lifestyle system but the more reviews I read the less enchanted I get with them. Thanx in advance.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
If you're going to spend that much, why not get a real setup:

$1000 speaker set from Boston, Def Tech, Energy, Polk Audio, etc.

$500-800 receiver from Onkyo or Denon

$200-500 DVD from Panasonic, Philips, Sony, etc.

These are all small speaker sets I'm talking about, satellites and a subwoofer. Some dealers have special prices for combos like this. But these speakers will beat any HT-in-a-box sets in the same price range.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I'd have to agree with Spiky. See the other thread about HTIBs elsewhere in this forum: at $500ish, as discussed in that thread, HTIBs are probably a good way to go (dependent on performance tastes, room size/type, blah, blah, etc...). But above $1000ish, you can probably start building a system from scratch. Great way to an upgrade as well, as most HTIBs aren't made for extensive expansion.

Christian

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Spiky, Christian, I appreciate your reply, I have an old (3-4 years) system with a Yamaha rec and polk front speakers, sub woofer (can't remember the name) Atlantic acoustic rear speakers. I never really got the surround feeling from this setup, I spent about 2.5k on it. I bought a cheep-o sony system for around 400$ and it sounds better! I really liked the concept of the Bose with the small speakers that you could mount on stands, My existing Polk satellites are mounted on stands but the rear Atlantic Acoustics are pretty big. Has speaker tecnology radically changed in the last few years or should I be able to use my current Polks and get a new Rec?

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
I have some older Polk satellites and Polk claimed they should match the new sats pretty well. (you want all speakers as similar as possible for better surround sound) You could get 3 new Polks to complement your current 2 and add a subwoofer and a DD/DTS receiver for good surround.

Speaker technology hasn't changed much in 30 years.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Spiky, when you were refering to a 5-800$ Dennon Rec. would that be a AVR2802? Are you familiar with that model or are you saying I can't go wrong with a Denon? Actually I think the sub woofer is a Polk, only the rear speakers were by another Mfg.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Gentleman,

Please give your opinions about the Swan Diva speakers for home theater. I am looking for some good sounding speakers and an AV receiver to put in a 12 x 16 room with wood floors and plaster walls and ceiling.

thanks,

Rick

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Just had this same conversation with a friend.

Advised him to go with DefTech ProCinema100 and an Onkyo, Marantz or Outlaw recevier. You will get a lot more performance from this set-up than a theater-in-a-box!!!

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
you can get the full 5.1 diva system for $1198

another speaker choice is the Paradigm Atoms all around +center +sub(one of the best economical speakers out there)for around the same price as the Diva's

or Denon 2802 for 7.1 capability($ ?)or an Onkyo, etc

dvd player $350 like the new Kenwood or Phillips dvd player with the incorperated Faroudja DCDi chip that beets the pants off the 1k+ progressive dvd players from Sony and Toshiba. (i have seen it, best bang for your $)

this will yield an excellent set-up and although it may seem economical, this system will compete with much more expensive systems and will blow away any HT in a box. I guarantee you will be disappointed again if you were to go with another home theater in a box. Do yourself a favour and get some real speakers and some adequate audio/video equipment to complement them.

If you have a 2k budget, you can afford to go this route. If you had a $500-$800 budget however, you would have no choice.....

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Rick,

The Diva 5.1 , HSU sub and the Denon 3802 receiver would make you a VERY happy camper for years to come.

Good Luck

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
One last thing- If you can squeeze it into the budget, the 6.1 is the Diva flagship and very impressive both build quality and sonic wise. It's a three way set up with two 8" woofs and a kevlar midrange that extends down to 27 Hz.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
i know you would like to get everything at once but dont make the mistake so many make and skimp now and pay the consequences later by spending more $ than originally. That is the boat you seem to be in now.

Obviously, you would like some good quality speakers and to make them sound good you need a good receiver, not only that, a receiver with the latest formats, features and most importantly upgreadability(oh, it has to sound good too). The dvd player speaks for itself. Go demo any dvd player with the faroudja DCDi chip and it is hands down the winner(i know, but since when less $ gives you the best performance? But it's true!)

Your options are as follows, either spend a little extra now, say $2500 for the package above or similar (the Paradigms are great speakers for the price too), if you are limited to the 2k budget, wait on the subwoofer or the dvd player until you save the funds. Don't buy something cheaper just to get the whole system at once. Quality before quantity, adhere to this rule and you will not be disappointed simply because you have a quality system in the end, period.

This is my opinion, but so many spend $100 less on the receiver and a couple hundred less for mediocre speakers just to fit that sub into their budget. These people seem most likely to get hit with the upgrade bug first; why, because they are not completely happy with their system in the first place! Now they end up spending more than they would have in the first place. This is human nature for ya. Good luck!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Serge, thank you for the great info. I was leaning towards a Denon 2802 rec. but I am now concerned whether it will have the bandwith to do quality HD video switching, might look in to a 3802 instead, My local Tweeter affiliate is pushing a Boston acoustics 5.1 speaker system for around 1k I can't remember the model #, is Boston a decent brand?

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
The BA setup tweeter has is the SYS9000 for $999. I've listened to and I was not thrilled with it. While it was a decent system for HT i thought it was lacking for music. I'm still searching for a decent set in the $1000 range. It's been tough.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Joe, that sounds about right, they were 999 for 4) satellites, a subwoofer, & a center. The problem is that you listen to them in the store and when you get them home they don't sound as good. I am not a demanding audiophile, just want something that will provide good movie surround but won't scare the dog much.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My home setup fits your bill:

Home Theater Direct Level 3 w/tower fronts - $1000

Onkyo 595 receiver - $400

JVC 65GD PS DVD - $250

I'm really happy with this setup, and it leaves approx. $350 for other goodies.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
One thing to consider is that most stores allow returns within 30 days. I've tried a few sets this way. I bring them home, try all my DVDs and CDs and then decide. Crutchfield will even pay the return shipping unless the speakers are huge.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The Home Theater Direct web site has caught my eye, and I was glad to see Tod's endorsement of their speakers. I don't remember seeing anything negative about Home Theater Direct in this forum, but let me ask, has anybody had a bad experience with Home Theater Direct? I am thinking about buying from them.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.