AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm confused. My current receiver is a Kenwood VR-309 (specs at kw site) The receiver does not have a DTS decoder, so I want to upgrade. How can I be sure I get a receiver with a TRUE 5.1 decoder? And is this what I want?

There seem to be many units on the used market that say they are 5.1 - is there any way to really tell? My Kenwood has speaker connectors for L,R,LS,RS,C & sub, but I know it doesn't decode!

In short, I want true 5 channels + sub. Is this Dolby 5.1 DTS? How can I tell what I'm getting?

Thanks much,

Garry

·
Registered
207 Posts
Dolby Digital and DTS are two separate audio formats. Your receiver supports Dolby Digital but not DTS. Both Dolby Digital AND DTS are audio formats capable of supporting 5.1 audio. You are lucky in that Dolby Digital is part of the DVD spec and DTS is not. Therefore there is not a single DVD out there that you would not be able to play in your player. Even discs that advertise having DTS still have some form of Dolby Digital on them (Even if it’s just a two channel track) so that they are compatible with the DVD spec. Playing a Dolby Digital 5.1 disc (Most common form of DVD) will decode just fine into authentic 5.1.

Oh, and Dolby Digital is the same thing as AC3.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.