AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 164 Posts

·
Banned
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
someone told me dts is better than dolby. but i forgot the reason...can any1 explain to me why is that?

and i assume the next better version is pcm, correct? and than true hd is better than pcm correct? true hd is king right?

·
Banned
3,669 Posts
Dolby is the better technology. If you contact a guy named Sanjay he explains why Dolby is the better techology. I used to fall for the BS that DTS is better but thats just not the case in my opinion.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
Dolby sucks with anything less than 5.1 speakers since midnight mode is then engaged automatically.

·
Banned
3,669 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by psgcdn /forum/post/0

Dolby sucks with anything less than 5.1 speakers since midnight mode is then engaged automatically.

Huh? DPLII is one of the greatest sound technologies ever invented. Makes two channel Cds sound close to 5.1.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
I meant Dolby Digital, of course.

Two channel CDs are meant to be heard in stereo, using two speakers. Anything else kills the imaging for me.

·
Banned
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentnyc /forum/post/0

and i assume the next better version is pcm, correct? and than true hd is better than pcm correct? true hd is king right?

^^^^ any1? what is after dolby and dts?

pcm? then true hd?

is it this?

true hd > pcm lossless audio > dts > dolby?

can someone confirm it?

·
Registered
4,155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentnyc /forum/post/0

^^^^ any1? what is after dolby and dts?

pcm? then true hd?

is it this?

true hd > pcm lossless audio > dts > dolby?

can someone confirm it?

DTS has higher bit rates than DD and some jump to the conclusion that it sounds better. But the compression algorithms are not the same and so it's impossible to claim one is better than the other just based on bit rate. It is reported that DD compression is more efficient and so it makes it real hard to come to conclusions this way.

PCM is better than DD or DTS because it's brute force without any compression. DD and DTS are both lossy compression schemes and so you are losing something. Dolby True HD is a lossless compression scheme. Therefore it is IDENTICAL to PCM because when you decode it (ie uncompress) you get back the original PCM stream that you started with.

Ed

·
Registered
642 Posts
I understand that DTS is also about 3 dBs louder than Dolby Digital so this may make it "seem" better sounding. At any rate I prefer the DTS track whenever I have a choice.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I've tried several DVDs (mostly anime) that have both DD and DTS soundtracks available. I had noticed the DD was slightly quieter so I ususally adjusted the volume, but in general I found the DTS sounded better.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyc /forum/post/0

I understand that DTS is also about 3 dBs louder than Dolby Digital so this may make it "seem" better sounding. At any rate I prefer the DTS track whenever I have a choice.

Audio that is louder doesn't just "seem" better, it is better (assuming no distortion). When audio is mastered at a higher volume level, the quieter sounds have more bits to represent them, so you will hear more detail.

·
Registered
143 Posts
No movie uses the full 98db of dynamic range that 16bit allows for so reducing the overal level 3db is not going to cause a loss of detail of the quieter sounds. And that's not even considering what compression might do to the dynamic range.

·
Registered
313 Posts
DTS is less compressed than Dolby Digital so it follows that DTS would sound a bit clearer and more 'present' and 'nuanced'. You are getting more information out of DTS. On all the DVDs I have that have both, the DTS always sounds better to me when doing a comparison.

That said, I don't have a problem with Dolby Digital especially since it's the prevailing format. But if there is a choice on a particular DVD, I always choose DTS and would recommend others do the same if available.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediahound /forum/post/0

DTS is less compressed than Dolby Digital so it follows that DTS would sound a bit clearer and more 'present' and 'nuanced'. You are getting more information out of DTS.

You could say MPEG2 is less compressed and therefore better than VC-1. And you would be wrong.

DTS and DD are two different methods and algorithms, you can't directly compare it on a technical basis.

OTOH being as common and presumably cheap as DD must be to use, if the director uses something else, like DTS, that suggests to me that they are putting alot of extra effort into the sound. And because of that the sound engineer is probably doing a very good job. So that DTS track will be better than run of the mill DD tracks. Just a theory though

·
Registered
273 Posts
In my experience with the two formats, it really depends on the movie in question. When watching War of the Worlds, the DTS soundtrack sounds much better to me. It is louder overall and sounds more detailed. In contrast, when watching the LOTR: Extended Editions, the DD soundtrack sounds better. The DTS one sounds quieter and the dialouge is way to low. I don't know if this is typical of most peoples systems though, as everyone always says that DTS soundtracks sound louder on their system.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by psgcdn /forum/post/0

I've seen this posted before but I can't understand why DD would be crippled so. Can you provide a link?

·
Registered
4,854 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by judge_dredd /forum/post/0

In my experience with the two formats, it really depends on the movie in question. When watching War of the Worlds, the DTS soundtrack sounds much better to me. It is louder overall and sounds more detailed. In contrast, when watching the LOTR: Extended Editions, the DD soundtrack sounds better. The DTS one sounds quieter and the dialouge is way to low. I don't know if this is typical of most peoples systems though, as everyone always says that DTS soundtracks sound louder on their system.

I thought I was the only one when I selected dts-es on these versions!! I kept on upping the center channel because the dialogue was toned down. Then I'd have to adjust it again when the battle scenes came on. This is the only movie I've come across where this has happened. I wonder if the new versions (the 2006 editions) have this sound quirk as well.

I'll have to try the DD sound option now that you've mentioned it sounds better.

1 - 20 of 164 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.