1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
520 Posts
Interesting they mention LGs are not known for passing DTS or DD through optical out. I have an LG 55GA7900 and can output both DTS and DD to my Vizio S4251-B4.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Wow - thanks for posting that, Taichi. I didn't think there were any TVs that passed 5.1 through the optical out. I guess soundbars are having an impact in the marketplace.

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The list seems to be largely true regarding brand, although individual models may diverge from the rule, as in the case of the LG owner/poster above.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
That is an EXCELLENT article for a beginner. That article should be STICKYED up on this forum. It is not the end all, be all, for info. But it is a good starting point for most people who come here and ask that question(I have in the past).

·
Registered
322 Posts
If your TV does not pass 5.1 through the optical it will still pass a digital signal correct - it would just be PCM 2.0? If your TV does only pass a 2.0 signal how does that affect quality - specifically if you have a subwoofer? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobDMB  /t/1506567/5-1-friendly-tvs-for-surround-output#post_24108553

If your TV does not pass 5.1 through the optical it will still pass a digital signal correct - it would just be PCM 2.0? If your TV does only pass a 2.0 signal how does that affect quality - specifically if you have a subwoofer? Thanks.

Basically, you would have to fall back on simulated surround, which some soundbars do fairly well. Otherwise you get stereo.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I wrote to Samsung with a simple question - Which of their 50" LCD/LED TV's output a true 5.1 signal through their optical outputs? I received a response that I cannot understand. I need an interpreter. Are they that stupid or are they that smart? The response:

All Samsung TVs send Digital 5.1 Audio out of the digital optical connection if the TV is decoding the 5.1 audio:

Examples of when 5.1 audio is available from the digital optical output. Your TV may not have all available features.

Coax connection all following conditions must be met:

You are using a coaxial (RF) cable going directly to the TV (no Cable Box or VCR).

You are on a Digital Channel. That channel is broadcasting 5.1 digital audio. USB device with a video file that contains a supported 5.1 audio codec. Smart TV app that supports 5.1 audio, (Examples: Netflix v3.1, Hulu, Vudu. etc.)

If all of the above conditions are not met, the optical cable only transmits a two channel stereo signal to your HTS. Depending on the settings in your HTS, all of the speakers may not output sound when receiving a two channel signal. Many Home Theater Systems have a feature that simulates surround sound. . However, many Home Theater Systems have a feature that takes a two channel stereo signal and turns it into a multiple channel, multiple speaker signal, simulating surround sound. If your HTS is receiving a two channel signal from your TV, you must turn this feature on for all your speakers to work. Consult your HTS owners manual to learn how to turn this feature on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts