AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey AVS!

First of all let me introduce myself. My name is Naithan, I'm a 19 year old student from Australia, and I have money I want to spend!

As christmas rolls in, I've decided to compliment my headphone rig, with a nice theatre setup in my room for gaming and movies. I have a budget of around $1000 (USD), and this will be my first real speaker setup.

I will do my best to provide you with as much information as I can in order to ease the pain of dealing with a newb.

I'm currently running a mid range headphone rig, that consists of an Auzentech Forte with OPA 637SM Opamps, Meier Concerto, and a pair of DT770/600's. While I love this rig, I would love a theatre setup I can use throughout the day, or when mates are over.

I'm very new to the world of theatre, which is why I've come to the most knowledgeable forum I know of for advice on what components I should be looking at for within my budget, and how to achieve a good surround experience with them.

After doing alot of research on this forum, I found myself a great deal on a Denon 590, and purchased that over the weekend, so I'm only looking for speakers. While satellites would be more convenient, I'm definitely willing to use bookshelf speakers, but tower won't be an option.

While I'm really wanting a surround sound setup, I will listen to recommendations for 2.1 / 3.1 systems. You guys are the experts, that's why I'm here.

I'm open to spending more money if the result is alot better.

Also, I'm in Australia, so some high end individual speakers can be hard to source. If anyone knows of some good online stores or actual shops I can use, that would be great!

It's worth noting that my room has a peculiar shape, and layout. I've drawn a diagram to demonstrate. I understand it's going to be hard to work with, but I do think (see hope) that it's possible.

The room is about 11.5' by 12.5'.

A huge thankyou in advance to anyone that can provide me with some help!

·
Registered
241 Posts
It's hard for people to give you any kind of input since most of us don't know what is available in your area or which online store is willing to ship to you. What are some of the brands that are in Australia? Hopefully, others can give you more input once we know what brand is available to you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply mate.

I've been doing alot of research, and I can source almost any major brand in Australia, though, the more common few are:

SVS

Onkyo

Yamaha

Polk

Paradigm

Energy

KEF

REL

Definitive Technology

Martin Logan

Cambridge

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 /forum/post/19555484

A couple to look in to - KEF Kht2005.3 system and the Definitive

ProCinema 800 system. If you want to spend more - then the Pro

Cinema 1000 system.

Thanks for the suggestions mate!

The KEF system reviews pretty damn well! While the DT ProCinema 800 does too, I've read up on people saying the sub is lacking.

I'm also scared that sattelites aren't going to satisfy me, purely because they won't get loud enough.

I've been looking at the Q-Acoustics Cinema 1010i, and also found a place locally doing a pretty good deal on the Quad L-ite 5.1 system, which is a long way out of my price range, but apparently a really good system..

Should I stretch my budget for the Quad L-ites? Would my AVR-590 be able to power them adequately?

·
Registered
19,825 Posts
It will not take a whole lot to fill a 11.5 x 12.5 room. The Quad looks

nice - however, I have not heard them. They might play a little bit

louder. You can also look at the Definitive Studio Monitor bookshelf

speakers - They will be better than satellite speakers. You can always

get a different sub - SVS makes good subwoofers.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 /forum/post/19556171

It will not take a whole lot to fill a 11.5 x 12.5 room. The Quad looks

nice - however, I have not heard them. They might play a little bit

louder. You can also look at the Definitive Studio Monitor bookshelf

speakers - They will be better than satellite speakers. You can always

get a different sub - SVS makes good subwoofers.

Well, the Quads would set me back about $2500(AUD), or, I can get:

SBS-01 (x2)

SSS-01 (x2)

SCS-01 (x1)

SB12-NSD

for about $2100(AUD)

Any opinion on the Q-Acoustics systems? I can get the 1010i system for around $1500 on clearance, or the 2000 system for about $2000(AUD)

The only reason I'm trying to push as much as I can into this room is that we may be moving soon, in which case I'll have a bigger space to fill.

EDIT: Been doing ALOT of research today. Everyone in the Definitive Technology Pro Cinema thread seems to be really with their setup. I'm currently looking at getting the Pro Cinema 1000, that way when I move and have more room I can upgrade to a Super Cube, and some tower speakers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts