AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently in the market for a good 5.1 home theater speaker system. I've been looking at SVS, HSU, and Orb - but not sure which to go with.

Any other recommendations for that price range?

My space is approx 18x22 and the speakers will mostly be used for movies and television, but maybe some occasional music as well.

My receiver is a Pioneer Elite. 7x100W if I remember correctly. Just looking at 5.1 though.

Been looking at these in particular:

SVS STS/SBS-01

ORB Mod-II (upgrade to 10" sub or possibly just buy the satellites and pick up an SVS sub)

HSU Enthusiast 2

thanks in advance for the advice

·
Registered
435 Posts
Are you looking for bookshelf or floorstanding speakers?

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Picking the sub is separate from picking the 5.0, no need to match, just pick the best - likely it will be ID.

PSB, Energy, KEF, Dali, and Paradigm (SE series) all make interesting products in that price range worth auditioning. Revel Concerta's would be worth seeking out as well.

Ron

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
As far as performance goes, the Hsu and SVS packages will dominate the Orb package. Orb is good for satellites, but they aren't going to measure up to serious bookshelf speakers, and their subwoofers will really pale in comparison. Orb is good for situations where space and aesthetics are a real constraint.

·
Registered
758 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200mk /forum/post/18280415

any reviews for these?

Yes, there are several out there, and two right on the Classic 3 page from Stereophile and The Absolute Sound.

They're incredible speakers, and for 5.1 I would go with two Classic 3's for the fronts, the 3c center, and then either Classic 2's or Zeros as the rears. The sub? You're on your own as I've never heard any NHT sub. I couldn't imagine them being horrible.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Did you audition Aperion? They have a 30-day free audition. I'd say 2x5T's, 1x5C, 2x5DB's. Just make a little room for front towers and you will not regret it. Select your sub based on your bass needs. I own Aperion 2x6T's, 1x6C, 2x5DB's and am very happy with them.

·
Registered
77 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by murthyvs /forum/post/18293751

Did you audition Aperion? They have a 30-day free audition. I'd say 2x5T's, 1x5C, 2x5DB's. Just make a little room for front towers and you will not regret it. Select your sub based on your bass needs. I own Aperion 2x6T's, 1x6C, 2x5DB's and am very happy with them.

so what sub do you have running with your set up??? and do you have amp running them???

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
An update on my search..

Currently considering speakers from either SVS or Aperion.

From SVS, it would be the following:

MBS-01 Bookshelf (2)

MCS-01 Center (1)

SSS-01 Surround (2)

PC12-NSB (1)

From Aperion:

Intimus 5B bookshelf (2)

Intimus 5C Center (1)

Intimus 5DB Surround (2)

Bravus 10D Subwoofer (1)

I'm choosing these two brands because they will ship to my APO address. Probably should have mentioned that to start off the thread.

Prices for these setups are about $500 apart, the Aperion being the higher of the two. The SVS rep is going to give me a discount for being military as well.

Opinions on these two options? I'm going to order tomorrow.. I broke my $2k budget a bit, but thought that would happen.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I ended up going with the Aperion setup.

Got a pair of 5Bs, a 5C center, pair of 5DB surrounds, and a Bravus 10D subwoofer. All in medium cherry.

·
Registered
5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattspalace /forum/post/18279492

I'm currently in the market for a good 5.1 home theater speaker system. I've been looking at SVS, HSU, and Orb - but not sure which to go with.

Any other recommendations for that price range?

My space is approx 18x22 and the speakers will mostly be used for movies and television, but maybe some occasional music as well.

My receiver is a Pioneer Elite. 7x100W if I remember correctly. Just looking at 5.1 though.

Been looking at these in particular:

SVS STS/SBS-01

ORB Mod-II (upgrade to 10" sub or possibly just buy the satellites and pick up an SVS sub)

HSU Enthusiast 2

thanks in advance for the advice

I just bought a Pioneer SC-25 and a set of Orb Audio Mod2 7.1 with the Uber Ten sub. My space is roughly the same size as yours and I have extremely high ceiling. I've been up and running with them for about 3 weeks. These little things rock and the wife acceptance factor is great IMO. She picked out the hand antiqued copper speakers. I was a bit apprehensive but Orb offer's a 30 day no questions asked trial so I went ahead and got them. I was amazed at the quality of sound. Movies are excellent as well as TV...

·
Registered
213 Posts
Look into the new Martin Logan Motion speakers. The towers are only average but the bookshelfs are outstanding. They make a pretty good sub too and you can build a full 5.1 system using their best bookshelfs and a their Dynamo 700 sub for around 1800. I reviewed them in the Martin Logan thread. They are pretty impressive.

·
Registered
22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slemmon /forum/post/18305744

so what sub do you have running with your set up??? and do you have amp running them???

I had quite a few headaches with different subs. I have ordered SVS PB12-Plus and scheduled for 3/18 delivery. I hope my search for sub ends here!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts