AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
been around the same circle, several times now, gave up on onboard realtek and purchased a turtle beach Catalina touted to deliver 5.1.. Not.

My next purchase will be ammunition... lol

The foundation of my HTPC is an ASUS A8N SLI Deluxe, featuring optical/coax SPDIF out.

My goal is to interface that unit with my Marantz audio/video sr870, through the matched Marantz digital processor DP870 with optical/coax input.

The realtek app features a SPDIF output, but all I get is the front. No center,surround or sub, regardless of speaker config in the app. (although I did hear an attempt at "virtual" 5.1 in the test app with the front L and R pronouncing "center", giving a vague aproximation of center.But the center itself was silent.) I am not struggling to achive "virtual", I have the correct hardware for the real thing. The system also has a matched Marantz DVD player, and when employed, delivers the real thing, but from the HTPC, front only, music or DVD, even with windvd that has multi channel support.

the TB Catalina features SPDIF in, and out, optical. Again, I get front only. And yes, I removed the realtek drivers, and disabled the onboard in CMOS prior to installing the Catalina.

I have ensured the latest drivers for both (realtek and turtle beach)

The support tech(s) at ASUS have had me config the realtek speaker app to 2 chan. and the Windows sound app at 5.1, to no avail. which leads me to suspect a software issue...?

To achive 5.1 for my music, movies and DTV would be great, but at this point, I may settle for having a salesman or tech rep bleed at my feet.

mobo- ASUS A8N SLI deluxe

AMD64 3200+

ATI HD Wonder

ATI X800XL

Realtek ALC850 8chan codec OR TurtleBeach Catalina

! gig mem

XP Media Center 2005

I dont know, but i have done all i can do, so I seek a higher power.

Therefore I emplore the gods of the AVS forum to smile upon me this day, and deliver me from the tempest of general disenchantment that fogs my mind.

I Thank you for enduring such a lengthy post, I hope I put it in the right place

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the help...

Im new to this stuff, and Im esily confused. would you be kind enough to define DDlive encoding?

thanks again Tony

·
Banned
1,372 Posts
In order to get 5.1 discrete channels out of an SPDIF feed, the 5.1(or more) audio channels have to be encoded into a compressed data stream, called AC3.

DVD audio is already encoded, and can be passed through the soundcard for decoding at your receiver.

Any other audio signals would need to be encoded, for subsequent decoding by your receiver.

The card you have is capable of decoding mutlichannel audio, and outputting the discrete analog audio signals.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tony,

So, the catalina card has to be connected using the audio jcks on the card intead of connection with SPDIF?

Thanks for the lightning reply!!

By the way, Im Dave

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thak you Tony, your help is very much appreciated!

even playing a DVD on the HTPC wont give me 5.1

Do you have any recommendations for a better bord that would serve my needs?

Thanks,

Dave

·
Banned
1,372 Posts
You should be able to get the DVD to play, by adjusting audio settings in both the DVD player software, and/or the soundcard software.

If you do a google search for DDLive soundcards, you should get a few hits...although there are not that many available....they're just coming out.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tony,

"You give but little when you give your possesions, it is when you give of yourself, that you truly give"

I thank you for your time and help my friend

Dave

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Go into your DVD software and make sure the audio is set to spdif pass through. As Tony said it should give you 5.1 on a 5.1 encoded disc if it is passing through the digital signal instead of decoding it.

The DDLive stuff relates only to games. It has been out for awhile in the nForce2 boards and the Intel Soundstream boards but I have yet to see it in an add-on card. Maybe there are some PCI-E cards coming out now but unless your mobo has PCI-E slots you won't be able to use them. Doesn't sound like you were really planning on gaming anyway. At least I didn't see you mention it.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I forgot to qualify my statement with the fact that I was talking about a digital connection. There are indeed add-on cards that can do DDLive decoding via the analog outputs. However, the original poster was interested in connecting digitally and I do not know of any cards that can do this yet.

·
Registered
725 Posts
If you are trying to get 5.1 while playing DVD's from your PC you should not need a sound card. Remove the sound card and connect the motherboard SPDIF out to your receiver.

Install the nvidia DVD decoder. Here is the link for latest version.
ftp://download1.nvidia.com/Windows/d...oder/1.02-150/

To activate the trial version use the information below during the installation.

Name: NVIDIA Trial

Email Address: [email protected]

Last 4 Digits of Credit Card: 2004

Activation Key: 7152-9346-DD6E-2CB0-79A3-5F08-AC23

Install Microsoft Windows XP Video Decoder Checkup Utility "ddecheck.exe"
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Run the Checkup Utility and verify that the nvidia decoder is selected as the preferred decoder.

Start Media Center and begin playing a DVD. Reduce Media Center so it is running in a window. You should see a nvidia icon on on the taskbar, double click on it. Then click on the Audio tab, Speaker Setup, a reciever, via a SPDIF cable and OK. You should now have 5.1.

You should also be able to play mpeg or transport stream files that are encoded with 5.1.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.