AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone help me adjust the voice level on my 5.1 kit, i have very little knowledge in what it is supposed to sound like but i seem to be turning the amp up to hear the voices and then when something happens the surround sound is way to loud and i have to turn it down.

My sub has 3 settings on it one is cut off 40 - 200hz where should this be?

The other is volume where should this be?

The last is phase which is 0 -180?

Is my sub in a ok place?

I have a sony STR-DH800 which has a calibration mic which i have used but hear no difference so some help would be appreciated, i have just set all this up as just decorating my lounge and have new Jamo A101 5.1 kit

Also i am watching most my films throught my HTPC running windows7 mc

·
Registered
707 Posts
Those are some nice looking little speakers.

The problem you're experiencing is, unfortunately, caused by a speaker design that's focused on size and appearance rather than sound. Particularly in the center channel (where most of the dialog is coming from), you're hearing a speaker that doesn't move enough air in the bass and midrange frequencies of human voices.

To answer your questions, the crossover should be set pretty high - probably 120hz or so (I couldn't find specs on your speaks so I can't say how high for sure).

The phase is either 0 or 180. Which one sounds better? (there's probably a "real" answer to this, but I don't know it. Just go with what sounds better).

The volume... If I were in your position, I'd turn the sub volume way down, and spend some time tweaking the settings in the AVR (bass/treble) to get the speakers to sound as good as possible. Once you're happy with how the speakers sound alone, add sub volume to bring out the low end.

Probably not the best answer - for a poster on an AV Science forum, I don't know how to scientifically set up a small satellite system. But that's how I'd do it.

Also, that is an odd place for a subwoofer. But since you'll probably need your crossover set pretty high, middle-front may not be a bad position, due to sub localization in higher frequencies. But I'm not sure. Sub placement/position has more to do with the room acoustics than anything else, so you might just need to experiment.

They are nice looking speakers. Probably not the best for movie dialog though.

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
Yea, I agree with what G-bull says...it would appear that those speakers are way to small for that size of room, especially the center channel.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
If you bought that exact receiver off of ebay without the manual I suggest you download the manual for that receiver or find a way to get your hands on one. Maybe there are a few settings that you are overlooking. Also you could go buy a radio shack digital sound pressure level meter. http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2103667 Put your receiver in the test tone mode and adjust your individual speaker volumes. I would try setting your Front L&R and your surround L&R and your subwoofer at the same db level and set your center lets say +2db higher than the other speakers. Not sure if that will solve your problem but worth a try.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies I will test some settings and see how I get on by thecway I am in the uk which does not have a radio shack ,I also am just setting up a low budget system which also integrates my pc for media, I have never played with the settings on my amp as I have very little knowledge of surround sound system and just went on a well known uk based site called trusted reviews to find a suitable speaker package which rated these speakers very highly.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/best-s...stems_round-up

I have the manual for my av amp as I bought it new the main reason was for just having one hdmi to my tv.

The long thing on the unit is the sub! Is this better placed on the floor or it can also be wall mounted, does the Sony calibration mic not adjust the speakers very well ??

·
Registered
1 Posts
If I were you I would lower the speakers down to straight eye positioned level/ ear level and put the subwoofer off the tv unit and place it how its ment to be. Perfererably against the wall with the drivers facing the wall on the floor. If your depending the auto mic setup to do the settings for you without any adjustments after then its going to sound like ****. After doing the auto microphone calibration, manually tweak the speakers through the AVRS settings and the sub settings.
Hope this helps

·
Registered
336 Posts
I don't know anything about your speaker set up but it did get a very favourable review. After reading the review and looking at your set up. it seems you have the subwoofer laying on its back!!

http://www.trustedreviews.com/jamo-a-101-hcs-5-review
(see pictures)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.