AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys i am new here i just got a brand new computer in dec in was a xmas gift:D i am very happy with it but any ways i was wondering if on board 5.1 is ture surround?? the card that came with it was C-media it has a S/PDIF out interface i looked on the back of the computer and it looks like it takes a coaxial cable hook up i live in a small down were i got this computer and then didnt no what i was talkiing about.I have a jvc surround sound setup so i f i picked up one of those wires whould i get ture 5.1. In time i am thinking on getting a stand alone sound card is that a better thing too do then going on board i am looking at the aud2 line of cards and i want too pick up some speakers i am looking at the 7.1 speaker so what do you think i should pick up??.And for the 7.1 is there any games out there that you can use that or is it just for dvds right now i want too be ahead of the game when that stuff come out this is a long post here but i need some help with all of this.

fred the dts guy

:cool:

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I had a hard time following the questions, but I think you are asking if you hook up your S/PDIF between your on-board sound (C-media) and your JVC receiver, would you get 5.1 audio? If so, the answer is yes - provided you are talking about DD or DTS from a DVD movie (played from either your DVD rom drive or ripped to your hard drive). All you need to do is to set your software DVD player (i.e., windvd, pdvd, etc ...) to S/PDIF. For games and such, you can only send 2 channels over the S/PDIF unless you have a 'soundstorm' type of NForce motherboard. This is because S/PDIF can only carry 2 channel PCM audio or 'data' in the form of multichannel DD/DTS - since games aren't pre-encoded DD or DTS, this means you can send only 2 channels of audio from the game unless you are able to lossy encode into DD with previously mentioned NForce.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Sherbona
I had a hard time following the questions, but I think you are asking if you hook up your S/PDIF between your on-board sound (C-media) and your JVC receiver, would you get 5.1 audio? If so, the answer is yes - provided you are talking about DD or DTS from a DVD movie (played from either your DVD rom drive or ripped to your hard drive). All you need to do is to set your software DVD player (i.e., windvd, pdvd, etc ...) to S/PDIF. For games and such, you can only send 2 channels over the S/PDIF unless you have a 'soundstorm' type of NForce motherboard. This is because S/PDIF can only carry 2 channel PCM audio or 'data' in the form of multichannel DD/DTS - since games aren't pre-encoded DD or DTS, this means you can send only 2 channels of audio from the game unless you are able to lossy encode into DD with previously mentioned NForce.
only way i can think of. :confused:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.