AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like many others I have a Flat Screen HDTV that only has a 5.1 optical output and I would like to drive an old stereo system with Line Level 2 ch analog audio.

I have tried the infamous Gefen DAC with no joy.

Has anyone tried the Hall Research DAC-51?

Has anyone found a reliable 5.1 Optical to 2 ch analog converter?

TIA

·
Registered
21,835 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroVictim  /t/1523647/5-1-optical-audio-to-2ch-analog-audio#post_24512751

Which one?

·
Registered
6,199 Posts
HDTV should have a Digital Audio Menu Setting to select either DD5.1 or PCM (2-Ch Stereo) for Optical Digital Audio Output.....you probably need PCM for the converter to output Stereo.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by holl_ands  /t/1523647/5-1-optical-audio-to-2ch-analog-audio#post_24513308

HDTV should have a Digital Audio Menu Setting to select either DD5.1 or PCM (2-Ch Stereo) for Optical Digital Audio Output.....you probably need PCM for the converter to output Stereo.

There is no setting for Digital Audio.

It is permanently 5.1 ch.

That particular Gefen DAC was made for 5.1 but does not work. Tried two of them. Neither functioned. Called co. Worked with Tech on phone.

No joy.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have tried the headphone jack.

The sound is absolutely flat, like a tabletop clock radio

and the output level is so low you have to turn the volume on the TV to practically the maximum.

These two problems make it unusable.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroVictim  /t/1523647/5-1-optical-audio-to-2ch-analog-audio#post_24512751

Like many others I have a Flat Screen HDTV that only has a 5.1 optical output and I would like to drive an old stereo system with Line Level 2 ch analog audio.

You probably tried the wrong one. You need the GTV-DD-2-AA, NOT the GTV-DIGAUD-2-AAUD. The latter only works on PCM digital.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroVictim  /t/1523647/5-1-optical-audio-to-2ch-analog-audio#post_24513268

Gefen GTV-DD-2-AA

LG tv 42LE5350 no setting for 2 channel I can find.

Hmmm...odd. I've installed a half dozen or so of the GTV-DD-2-AA converters with no problems. Maybe your TV's DD5.1 isn't quite per Dolby spec. Do you have another DD5.1 source you could try, like a DVD or BD player?

·
Registered
21,835 Posts
Did you do this?
Quote:
Set the “TV Speaker option - Off” in the

AUDIO menu. (►p.150). See the external audio

equipment instruction manual for operation.

·
Registered
598 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroVictim  /t/1523647/5-1-optical-audio-to-2ch-analog-audio#post_24514102

I have tried the headphone jack.

The sound is absolutely flat, like a tabletop clock radio

and the output level is so low you have to turn the volume on the TV to practically the maximum.

These two problems make it unusable.

Amazon sells the iBoost 800 preamplifier that solves this problem. If it doesn't work, you can return it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024  /t/1523647/5-1-optical-audio-to-2ch-analog-audio#post_24514510

You probably tried the wrong one. You need the GTV-DD-2-AA, NOT the GTV-DIGAUD-2-AAUD. The latter only works on PCM digital.

I ordered and received two Gefen GTV-DD-2-AA. I never had or tried the other unit you mention.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024  /t/1523647/5-1-optical-audio-to-2ch-analog-audio#post_24514520

Hmmm...odd. I've installed a half dozen or so of the GTV-DD-2-AA converters with no problems. Maybe your TV's DD5.1 isn't quite per Dolby spec. Do you have another DD5.1 source you could try, like a DVD or BD player?

I tried it on my cable box optical output and it would not work on that either.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman  /t/1523647/5-1-optical-audio-to-2ch-analog-audio#post_24515168

Did you do this?

Honestly, no. The Gefen techs did not make mention of it. And this from the manual seemed to imply that it was optional.

"When connecting with external audio equipment, such

as amplifiers or speakers, you can turn the TV speakers

off in the menu. (►p.150)"

Since it did not work on my cable box either, the belief all around was that they were defective.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredengineer  /t/1523647/5-1-optical-audio-to-2ch-analog-audio#post_24516824

Amazon sells the iBoost 800 preamplifier that solves this problem. If it doesn't work, you can return it.

I can give it a try, but really the sound quality out of the headphone jack is from the time of Alexander Graham Bell.

Very flat, very tinny, very undesirable.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroVictim  /t/1523647/5-1-optical-audio-to-2ch-analog-audio#post_24517686

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024  /t/1523647/5-1-optical-audio-to-2ch-analog-audio#post_24514520

I tried it on my cable box optical output and it would not work on that either.

As long as your +5v PSU is putting out +5v, and you are toggling the input button to the right input (coaxial or optical), I haven't any more suggestions. What LEDs are lit? Is your optical cable good? It sure seems odd that I have installed a half dozen or of the GTV-DD-2-AA converters without failure, but you get 2/2 that don't work.

·
Registered
21,835 Posts
I find it hard to believe that 2 Gefen boxes were/are bad. Something is being overlooked in audio setup IMHO.

1) are you sure the optical cable is "good"?

2) have you removed the protective caps from the ends of the optical cable?

3) are you sure that the optical cable is properly/fully inserted at each end?

4) are your analog audio cables good?

5) are you sure that the audio input of the stereo system is selected and/or operating properly?

·
Registered
598 Posts
Most of the reviews of the DAC I've seen says they fail after a few months. Given the small size of the device and the amount of processing they have to do, I'm guessing they fail from overheating. Is it possible the failed devices are returned and the seller just restocks them to sell again???

·
Registered
21,835 Posts
You're correct... that's just a guess.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts