AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just moved to a new house and I'm trying to get our Media room set up. In our old house I had a 5.1 setup that was all Acoustic Research. While my AR PS428 towers would be fine in the new room I feel like the rest of the surrounds would be lacking. My previous surrounds and center were all AR edge speakers.

The new house has a walkout basement family room that is 19x32 with 9 foot ceilings. The front half for tv and the rear half with a pool table. It's wired for 6.1 but it would be easy to add in the second rear. The side rear surrounds will have to be mounted up high on the wall with the rear surrounds mounted to the ceiling or added as in ceiling speakers. The system will be powered by my new Pioneer VSX-1022k.

So far I've come up with a few speaker choices that are within the $1000-$1200 budget.

Klipsch RF-42 II 5.1 System with a BIC Pl-200 sub. I would add some sort of rear later to get 7.1

BIC PL-76 5.1 system with PL-200 sub. 7.1 would be later

Option 3 would be to keep my AR PS-428 towers and add the Klipsch or BIC center, Sub and 4 surrounds. This would give me the most bang for the buck but I'm afraid that the AR towers wouldn't sound right with the new speakers.

So what should I do?

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
First, your front three speakers should timbre match. Not so important for the surrounds, and definitely doesn't matter for the sub. That means (a) three of the exact same speaker or (b) using the matching center designed by the manufacturer in your front sound stage. So rule out option 3.

The BIC PL-200 is a very good sub. However, the Klipsch RW-12d when on sale at Newegg for $299 or less tends to get more recommendations. Right now, it's actually down to $280 with promo code. The PL-200 is generally considered a close second, so good deal if you get it at a discount as part of a package.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
I own BIC Acoustech 2 - PL-89's, 1 - PL-28, 4 - PL-66's. I love the way these speakers sound and they really shine for HT. They are excellent speakers for the price. I highly recommend these speakers as good budget speakers and they look good too.

For subs I also own 2 - Outlaw Audio LFM-1 Plus's and they are about the best bang for your buck sub when they are on sale.... Actually right now the LFM-1 EX is on Sale for $629 w/ FREE shipping.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts