AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a small room which is 12ft(l)x8ft(w). it is prewired for 7.1, but with all those speakers and a sub i feel it may be too much. At this poitn i am option for 5.1, but wanted to know everyone thoughts..

·
Registered
473 Posts
Still need more information... is this a bedroom coverted to a HT room? If you can provide a drawing of your layout and where your couch is in reference to the room and our viewing distance this will help some.

Are your walls close to the couch or is it in the middle of the room... do you have space behind the couch or is it up against the back wall... all these things need to be considered for 5.1 and 7.1. Because ultimately if you dont have room behind your seating area the Rear Surrounds will not be in the desired location.

So depending on your room, it may or may not make sense to go 7.1.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
also this is a dedicated media room..unsure of screen size too, but posted that in the other forum

·
Registered
30,864 Posts
Room size isn't as much of a determinant as seating location. IF your seating is going to be at or near the back wall, then stick to a 5.1-speaker set-up (surrounds high up in the back corners of the room). IF you're going to be sitting at least 4 feet away from the back wall, then you're a good candidate for a 7.1 layout.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts