AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've a smallish living room, 15x12 or so.

It is worthwhile to implement 7.1 in such a room, or would 5.1 be sufficient?

- Richard

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
If youre interested in getting sound from more angles then sure go for the 7.1 setup

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Based on your room dimensions I'd say you will be sitting way to close to rear speakers. I'd go with either dipole or bipole side speakers, which will reflect much of the sound off your back wall and give the effect or having rear speakers.

·
Registered
314 Posts
IMO...I think the room is too small to put in a 7.1. From the information I have gathered, the 6th and 7th channels are "manufactured" by the A/V equipment, because movies are only recorded in 5 channels. 5.1 will give the sense of seperation between rear and front, as 7.1 will start making the channels blend.

I have 5.1 in a 13.5' x 20' room and love the heck out of it.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerdoberman /forum/post/0

IMO...I think the room is too small to put in a 7.1. From the information I have gathered, the 6th and 7th channels are "manufactured" by the A/V equipment, because movies are only recorded in 5 channels. 5.1 will give the sense of seperation between rear and front, as 7.1 will start making the channels blend.

I have 5.1 in a 13.5' x 20' room and love the heck out of it.

While I agree with Killer about sticking with 5.1, there are DTS ES movies in existence - they are EXTREMELY rare. The most notable that comes to mind is the LOTR EE. DTS ES movies have a discrete 6th channel. However, a DTS A/V Receiver will automatically take that 6th channel and move it to the side channels if you tell the A/V receiver you don't have rear speakers.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Dolby Ex soundtracks are 6.1, with the rear channel mono. Prologic 2 x creates a stereo rear by processing.

·
Registered
31,225 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCanuck /forum/post/0

It is worthwhile to implement 7.1 in such a room, or would 5.1 be sufficient?

Room size has nothing to do with 5.1 vs 7.1. What's more important is seating location. If you had a large room but your seating was against the back wall, you'd be a poor candidate for a 7.1 set-up (no room behind you for the rear speakers). However, if your seating area is away from the back wall (even in a small room), then you can pull off an effective 7.1 layout.

7.1 systems have several advantages over 5.1: more precise directionality (4 surrounds give more distinct rear-vs-side imaging than 2), better wrap-around envelopment (4 speakers can literally 'surround' you better than 2 speakers ever could), and greater imaging stability (side and rear sounds stay locked in those directions no matter where you sit).

You can't get all that with a 5.1 set-up. One pair of surrounds, no matter how good they are, cannot be in two places simultaneously (at your sides and behind you). Again, in order to do this effectively, your seating area needs to be away from the back wall. If it is at or near the back wall, then I would stick with a 5.1 set-up.

Good Luck,

Sanjay

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.