AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have it connected as follows, HDMI to my SOny STRD800 receiver, HDMI from receiver to tv. Toslink from ps3 to receiver. I get 5.1 DD on Blu-Ray and DVD's but when I play Tiger 07 its only PCM 48. I have the receiver set to AFD AUTO. Ive tried everything I can think of but i just cant get 5.1 Dolby on the games.. im stumped. I have selected the sound settings on the ps3 as follows: BD/DVD-BItstream (HDMI) BD/DVD-bitstream Optical, and in the sound settings in the XMB I have selected Optical-DOlby Dig 5.1, DTS,AAC and linear pcm all checked.. WHat is strange is I cant UNcheck Linear PCM.. Stumped..

·
Registered
236 Posts
I don't believe any of the games play in DD. If your getting multi-channel PCM then your getting what you should. Uncompressed PCM tracks should sound better than lossy compressed DD or DTS tracks. I believe it would be less resource demanding for the ps3 to do uncompressed PCM than trying to compress the audio before going out anyway.

Also, you don't need that extra toslink going from the ps3 to the receiver. The HDMI Connection should handle everything for you.

I don't know about your Sony receiver, but most cant decode AAC so you might want to uncheck it.

-Sean

·
Registered
3,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by badahab /forum/post/0

I don't believe any of the games play in DD.

I'm pretty sure they all do, I know that at least all the ones I play do. If they didn't then all of us using Toslink would be able to get get discrete surround sound. Maybe Tiger 07 doesn't though, as I haven't played that and jshgrad's settings sound right.

jshgrad, have you tried any other games?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:

If your getting multi-channel PCM then your getting what you should. The HDMI Connection should handle everything for you.

I don't know about your Sony receiver, but most cant decode AAC so you might want to uncheck it.

-Sean

I tried getting audio from the HDMI only, but my receiver states if i have the HDMI from the ps3 connected and then the hdmi out going to the tv the audio will ONLY come from the TV which also is Toslink out on the back of it... Im not getting MULTI channel, only 2ch PCM 48 it says, no sound from anyother speakers..

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jshgrad, have you tried any other games?

I have only played Tiger 07, I did notice however that on the back of the game disc packaging it does NOT state anywhere anything about DOlby Digital, Do any of your games says DD (c) anywhere on the back? One thing the game does do is when it FIRST starts and it says E A SPORTS its in the game it is in Surround for a SPLIT sec. then drops right out. I also notice the CLICK on the XMB when your manuvaring around only constantly clicks for me when my receivers Decode Priority is set to PCM first. If its set to AUTO in the Pri. i hear the click sporadically..I must have something screwed up here.

·
Registered
236 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshgrad /forum/post/0

I tried getting audio from the HDMI only, but my receiver states if i have the HDMI from the ps3 connected and then the hdmi out going to the tv the audio will ONLY come from the TV which also is Toslink out on the back of it... Im not getting MULTI channel, only 2ch PCM 48 it says, no sound from anyother speakers..

Sounds like you have your Receiver set to pass audio to the tv. I know on my yamaha there is an option to do that, but I dont know why anyone would. I tried searching around for your model and I keep seeing this phrase "HDMI passthrough switching" and "Powerful HDMI connectivity allows for uncompressed audio and video to pass through directly to your television." these were from amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-STR-DG800.../dp/B000EU0UVA

I have this sneaking suspicion that your receiver does not do audio over hdmi. If thats the case then you do have to run an optical cable from the ps3 to the receiver. If thats the case... then I have no idea what the ps3 does to the audio. Sorry. I would make sure that your are using the output from the ps3 and not the output from the tv. If you let it go ps3>stereo>tv>back to the stereo then something in that chain might be sending it back to 2ch PCM. Also make sure in the ps3 settings you have to audo output set to "Digital Out (Optical)". I hope someone else can chime in on how the ps3 handles multichannel over optical.

-Sean

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Picked up a different game, 5.1 WORKS.... I guess Tiger 07 is NOT Dolby Digital, didnt say it anywhere on the package. Bought Call of Duty 3 and it works in DD5.1. Thanks for your help though guys, everything is fine now, back to superrubadub!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Good to hear that its just the game. I never thought about it being a game by game thing. I know Resistance fall of man was a lot better because of the surround sound. It was great hearing something sneaking up from behind you.

-Sean

·
Registered
524 Posts

Quote:

Good to hear that its just the game. I never thought about it being a game by game thing. I know Resistance fall of man was a lot better because of the surround sound. It was great hearing something sneaking up from behind you.

-Sean

Hearing someone sneaking up behind you isn't really the best thing in a gold game, though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.