AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

I am looking for 5.1 or 7.1 high quality receiver (like Denon AVR 4311CI for example)

But there is a problem: maximum depth of receiver has to be under 12"

Anything under 12" I found so far is a stereo (Denon RCD-N7, Wadia 151, Marantz M-CR603) or not really good amplifier like Sherwood R-904N

Can you guys help me?

Best Regards

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
^^^

nope. there's nothing out there that "fits" that requirement other than the sherwood...

i'm not familiar with it at all (the sherwood), but what is "not very good" about it? not that i'm doubting you, i'm just satisfying my curiosity...

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj /forum/post/19587137

^^^

nope. there's nothing out there that "fits" that requirement other than the sherwood...

i'm not familiar with it at all (the sherwood), but what is "not very good" about it? not that i'm doubting you, i'm just satisfying my curiosity...

Sound quality. If you can compare side by side to more expensive receivers or processors on quality speakers - you will hear difference.

I do and I am willing to spend more money for better processor/amplifier.

I don't think any $500.00 receiver will sound like $2000.00 receiver. It is just me.

Best Regards

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
^^^

ok... i gave up on that fight LONG ago... if you believe a price tag necessarily determines "sound quality" in electronics, more power to you...

unfortunately, you are sol... because what you are looking for doesn't exist...

interestingly enough, i've always thought that "sound" is better than "no sound at all"... perhaps i'm unique in that...

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
^^^

nowhere near expensive enough for him to consider michael...

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj /forum/post/19603967

^^^

ok... i gave up on that fight LONG ago... if you believe a price tag necessarily determines "sound quality" in electronics, more power to you...

I don't "believe" it. I hear it.

Not always of course, I am just writing exactly about Denon AVR 4311CI and Sherwood R-904N.

I know that sometimes you pay a lot for nothing. For example OPPO in different body...
Quote:
unfortunately, you are sol... because what you are looking for doesn't exist...

interestingly enough, i've always thought that "sound" is better than "no sound at all"... perhaps i'm unique in that...

Maybe.

I am in another side. I spend money for quality I can see or hear.

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
^^^

have you blind tested the two? if not, you are simply making noise...

fwiw, i've owned a $7500 avr (amoungst many many others)... i'm not talking out of my butt...

in either case, again, you are sol... enjoy the silence...

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman /forum/post/19604029

Did you look at the Yamaha Neo?

I Just did it. Thanks.

Depth - 13.1 in. Too much for my client's cabinet.

Regards

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Ah, you are a dealer/installer. So, that explains your vested interest in price as the determinant of sound quality.

Yes, this thread just warms the cockles of my heart. While getting paid by your client, you come here seeking free advice instead of doing your own damn research.

AJ

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
I obviously have no idea what the exact situation is.

Can the receiver be located elsewhere with web interface control? There are Yamaha receivers which can be controlled by a web interface.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I recently researched this as I also had a depth constraint. I was surprised by the huge sizes of most A/V receivers.

The A/V receivers with the shortest depth are the Yamaha RX-V367 (all other Yahamas are deeper) and a several Sonys such as the STR-DH810. The actual cases for these two models are about 11 inches in depth. This does not include protruding knobs and room for cables in the rear. You will need at least 14 inches clearance for everything; 15 inches to be comfortable.

The Yamaha RX-V367 is shallower than the Sony AVRs by about 1/4 inch, but the sound quality of the Yamaha was easily discerned to be poor. The Sony STR-DH810 sounds much better and has many more features. I compared the two models side by side in my home. I now own and recommend the STR-DH810 for personal (ie not shaking the house down) TV watching and music listening.

The Denon AVRs that I saw were significantly deeper than the other brands, which was too bad because I wanted to buy Denon as I have used their equipment in the past.

DelJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zygmunt /forum/post/19587018

Hi Guys

I am looking for 5.1 or 7.1 high quality receiver (like Denon AVR 4311CI for example)

But there is a problem: maximum depth of receiver has to be under 12"

Anything under 12" I found so far is a stereo (Denon RCD-N7, Wadia 151, Marantz M-CR603) or not really good amplifier like Sherwood R-904N

Can you guys help me?

Best Regards

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
I assume this is obvious, but in case it's not, it's pretty hard to make a small AVR.

If it's class AB, then I don't see how it can be done. You need a large transformer for any decent amount of power.

If you could squeeze both switch mode power supply and class D amps into a receiver it seems possible.

Some HTIB systems are pretty compact. I also suspect most are fairly limited in power. Correct me if I am wrong, and if it's possible to buy a small form factor receiver with decent power.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts