AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like recommendations to build a 5.1 system around my Denon 1611. Some constraints:

1. I'm considering a $3500 budget for speakers.

Because I've read a lot of good things about their woofers, I've focused on HSU for the subwoofer What model? Do I need more than one?

I'm thinking floor speakers without woofers, since I'll have the powered subwoofer. I can be corrected, though. A center and two surrounds to complete.

2. The room is 15'2"W X 18'6"L X 15'6"H. If my calculation is right, that's about 4350 cubic ft.

This room, however, is entered from the foyer of the house and is connected to the breakfast area, too. I think that this affects the needs for the system, too. The foyer is to the right of the listening area and the breakfast area is to the rear. And, yes, the ceiling is almost 16' high.

3. The system is used 50% for watching TV/Movies, 30% for games, and 20% for music.

4. Volume levels vary.

We will turn up the volume for movies, concerts, and some games... low for background music for entertaining... higher for pure music listening... in the middle for TV shows.

5. I'd prefer a wood grained finish, but it's not a deal killer.

6. I'm not in a hurry. And, I'm OK with either internet or store-front dealers, as long as they're reputable.

I'd love to hear your thoughts,

Ed

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
BTW, I've posted a question in HSU's forum asking for their recommendation about the subwoofer(s).

Because they seem to have the most replies and views of all the owners threads, I've been reading about Energy, Paradigm, Definitive, Bowers and Wilkins, Klipsch, and Dynaudio. It's easy to get bogged down, though. Your recommendations would be welcome?

Thanks,

Ed

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
You'll need to add the cubic footage of any spaces open to your room to get a good idea how much subwoofer you need.

For the speakers the constraint is the receiver. The little Denon is a good little receiver but is limited to fairly sensitive 6 or 8ohm speakers and in a room that size this becomes an issue. I make it a habit never to suggest something that I haven't heard but because of the receiver's constraints I'm going to break my own rule and toss out an idea simply based on easy to drive specifications and stellar reviews. Aperion's Verus Grand towers are 8ohm speakers rated at 92db (easy to drive) and with matched center and bookshelves fit the budget with $900 left for the sub. Again I only know them by reputation so you'll need to do your own research. Review

Now if the the subwoofer is a separate budget you could just about shoehorn a 5.1 set of Salk Song Towers, Song Surrounds, and Song Center into $3500 but you'd need a 4ohm friendly receiver and would probably eventually (down the road) want an amp. I own these and they are truly awesome speakers.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to the both of you. I haven't bought new speakers since the 80's. And, I never had a subwoofer. The examples you've given have helped me realize that this ain't gonna be easy, but it should be fun. I'm hoping to find speakers that I can listen to, before I buy... but I"m not opposed to trying them at home, if there's some sort of trial period available.

·
Registered
20,336 Posts
Good luck - most companies have a 30 day trial period. Aperion is on line,

and has a trial period. There are some Focal dealers around, also Music-

Direct has a 30 day period. HSU will size up the sub, for your room.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Good/great speakers can NOT overcome the limitations of an acoustically challenging space. However, life is all about trade-offs and working within the constraints. Some pictures of the room would be helpful, showing seating with respect to TV and proposed speaker locations. Carpeted floor? Lots of upholstered furniture? Is the space "acoustically bright"? The Denon 1611 has Audyssey's lowest version of room correction and may be on the underpowered side if the tv is on one side of the room and seating is on the other. Do you want to achieve "reference" SPL? Most people find that way too loud. Do you know someone with a calibrated system you can listen to, to find out the loudness you'd like to achieve?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.