AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted a thread a while ago, and I wanted to build a system for $750-800. Well, I found out I have a bit more to spend (about a grand now) and I put this together..

x2 Polk Monitor60 $239.98 - Newegg

Polk CS20 Center $149.99 - Newegg

Pair of Monitor30's $79.99 - Newegg

Acoustech H-100 ~$200 - eBay (acoustic sound design)

Denon AVR-591 $350 - Amazon

Cables and everything else from monoprice - $41.36

Shipping - $17.96

TOTAL - $1079.28

The real question is, can I do better for the price? I don't want to order the receiver refurbished off a sketchy website though, i've been suggested that already
. I know the sub has been praised by many for the price, and I've heard good things about the polk's, go just give me your opinion here.. I need to order the speakers by tomorrow night if i'm getting them, since the sale ends then. And, can the receiver drive the speakers well? Let me know what you think.. Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,396 Posts

Quote:
The real question is, can I do better for the price?

Of course you can... don't look at Polk for starters

Quote:
I don't want to order the receiver refurbished off a sketchy website though, i've been suggested that already

Whoa hold on there.

accessories4less (i'm assuming that's what you're refering to?) is not a sketchy website. They're a marantz/onkyo authorized reseller. They also have some of the better customer service out of any website i've ever bought from. They anwser emails quickly. And the warranty on these refurbs is great too. BAsically the only thing you lose from these refurbs is that they may have a few visible scratches on the labels which are glued to the back panel... where they'll be invisible.

If you were refering to ecost, then yes, I agree they're somewhat sketchy.

Quote:
I know the sub has been praised by many for the price, and I've heard good things about the polk's, go just give me your opinion here..

never heard of the sub, but on the polk front... "meh".

·
Registered
20,105 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Velocity /forum/post/19521909

Whoa hold on there.

accessories4less (i'm assuming that's what you're refering to?) is not a sketchy website. They're a marantz/onkyo authorized reseller. They also have some of the better customer service out of any website i've ever bought from. They anwser emails quickly. And the warranty on these refurbs is great too. BAsically the only thing you lose from these refurbs is that they may have a few visible scratches on the labels which are glued to the back panel... where they'll be invisible.

That is where I bought my Marantz.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Velocity /forum/post/19521909

Of course you can... don't look at Polk for starters

Whoa hold on there.

If you were refering to ecost, then yes, I agree they're somewhat sketchy.

never heard of the sub, but on the polk front... "meh".

Yeah, by sketchy I was referring to ecost and the like.. The sub is basically an older and better looking BIC F12, everyone says it's the best for it's price. And if not the polks.. what else is good for my price range?

·
Registered
477 Posts
Is it the CS2 that goes with the Monitors?? Unsure

Also check out the 12inch Lava sub, it's less than 300 with the AVS discount and getting some good press.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleATheater /forum/post/0

Is it the CS2 that goes with the Monitors?? Unsure

Also check out the 12inch Lava sub, it's less than 300 with the AVS discount and getting some good press.

Yes, the CS2 matches the Monitors. It's a closer match to the M70's bigger woofers than the M60, but it works perfectly with any of the Monitor line.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Anyone else have anything to say? If you have different suggestions for speakers, please throw em' out there. If i'm getting the polks, I need to order them tonight, because the sale ends tomorrow.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghetto Toaster
Anyone else have anything to say? If you have different suggestions for speakers, please throw em' out there. If i'm getting the polks, I need to order them tonight, because the sale ends tomorrow.
you would be hard pressed to find a better set of speakers for the price your getting the polks at sure there are better but at almost double the prices i would order them imo

·
Registered
862 Posts
Quote:
In another thread, one poster suggesting checking Boston Acoustics for their Outlet and Refurbished products.

·
Registered
29,186 Posts
Quote:
I wouldn't stress too much about the sale on Polks, Newegg has one every week. Plus Black Friday is coming up so they may have a better sale then.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'd really rather get it now then have to wait for another sale.. So does anyone have any objections before I go ahead and order?

·
Registered
2,088 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghetto Toaster /forum/post/0

I'd really rather get it now then have to wait for another sale.. So does anyone have any objections before I go ahead and order?

I agree with Afro. Your about to buy the week before the most aggressive sales start.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
How much am I really going to save if I wait until Friday though?

EDIT: And I thought newegg has black November, nothing specifically for black Friday.. Or am I wrong?

·
Registered
2,088 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghetto Toaster /forum/post/0

How much am I really going to save if I wait until Friday though?

Probably not much. That's gonna sound very nice for about a grand delivered. If you get it, post up your thoughts.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghetto Toaster /forum/post/19524063

I don't know how big your listening area is but $500 for 5 speakers, these Ascends would be a good start

1 - 20 of 22 Posts