AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my criteria has changed, i was looking into a 5 satellite HT setup(omnisats) to replace my bose and thought i had to keep them small but out of the blue shes says to me "how bout a center channel and towers" i almost fell over. her rules are "they cant look like furniture and they have to sound good." the only thing is the rears will have to be wall mounted about 6-7 feet up on a side wall(room is 29x14 feet long, part of which is the dinning room) so they would have to be able to angle down and in a bit(like the bose can). whats systems should i consider? i was looking at rockets but the rears dont fit the bill. its our christmas present to each other this year so i have lost of time to research and drool. thx in advance.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I can wholeheartedly recommend the Axiom Epic 60 combo ($2004). If your budget has a bit of headroom, then I would swap the center channel with the more powerful VP150 , considering the size of your room. Also, if you can stretch the budget a little, I would consider substituting the sub with the one from Hsu or SVS. Axiom has a truly excellent little forum of their own -- make sure to visit the message boards .

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thx for the response, ive also considered the axioms but again the surrounds are not right. due to my setup they would have to be mounted on a side wall, meaning one of the drivers would be firing into the dinning room and not in the living room at all. ive read it best to keep all the same timber so i need a set with rears that fit my criteria.

·
Registered
48 Posts
BlouZbee,

The Axiom QS4s and QS8s are designed to be mounted on the side wall as they have two tweeters firing in different directions and two woofers firing up/down to difuse the rear surround sound. My QS4s sound great on the side walls about 6 1/2 feet off the ground and a foot behind the listening area.

Frank

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Yes, that is the whole purpose of multi-pole surrounds. Instead of directly radiating towards the listener, they will create a nice ambience effect, filling the room with indirect sounds. That is how the majority of DD 5.1 soundtracks is meant to be heard.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Yes, regardless of the size of the room and the listening position relative to the room. The QS8 surrounds that are included in the combo I cited above have a high efficiency and power handling to readily fill up your space. I own a pair of QS8, and they are awesome.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
BlouZbee,

Yes, plenty. These Axioms have 93-95dB/W in-room efficiency, higher than most competitions. That means less power needed even for a large room. Keep in mind that a 3dB increase in efficiency cuts the required power down to a half; in other words, your 100W/ch amp will perform like a 200W/ch amp driving a set of 90-92dB/W speakers. A big difference!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.