AVS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of getting a new 5.1 speaker setup to go with an Onkyo 875. For the fronts I want regular 3-ways, not satellites. Also I really need the fronts to have a fairly small footprint and would prefer black won't let that limit me completely. I tried looking for similar threads to this, but most were looking for $1500 range, and I can go to around 5k

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Why three ways? Lots and lots of 'what speakers should I get' threads here. Could you clarify your budget? Is it 1.5k for the fronts and 5k overall?

·
Registered
165 Posts
I can say with confidence that it is nearly impossible to look at speakers on paper. People continually try to compare sensitivity ratings, speaker diameters, 2 way, 3way, 2.5way, box construction etc etc.

Some will tell you Axioms are amazing, others say Aperions beats them and another will tell you go paradigms all the way.

The one consistent message on this board is that you need to listen to them to know what you will like.

I am really liking Aperion, but sounds liek yo want large sound from a small footprint, Maybe B&W is one to look at.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Triangle makes a 3 way. The Naia of the Stratos line will cost 1875.00 a pair from Upscale Audio. The Celius ESW will cost a bit more even though it's from a lower line. They're very efficient speakers and audiophile grade. They have some lower grade also three way (Anatal and Altea).

B&W sticks mainly to 2.5 way floor standers which sound good and may achieve the effect you like. The 3 way get a little pricey, 700 series is a bargain check the 803s and 804s.

Dali Helicon 300 and 400 are great beautiful speakers. LSA 2 Towers are 2.5 speakers that cost about 2.5k a pair gourgeous. I used to have Dynaudio speakers but I haven't kept up with them, there's a great thread usually running about their products. Opera Seconda is a great speaker that is three way, little more for the Quinta.

All these have matching centers and surrounds. These are also all pedigree and audiophile, Stereophile reviewed speakers. Upscale Audio has many on sale all the time.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KY Colonel /forum/post/12980722

Triangle makes a 3 way. The Naia of the Stratos line will cost 1875.00 a pair from Upscale Audio. The Celius ESW will cost a bit more even though it's from a lower line. They're very efficient speakers and audiophile grade. They have some lower grade also three way (Anatal and Altea).

Triangle does not get mentioned here often, as it is an obscure brand for many, and somewhat expensive. But, at the sales price that Upscale Audio has right now, they are one of the best deals out there. Triangle is a wonderful sounding speaker, a must audition; one of the top brands in Europe.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does Triangle have their own website? A google search gave me people selling them or forum posts, but I can not find a manufacturer's website.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the link. Unfortunately the website does not have any information on the Naia speaker or anything from a Stratos line, nor does it have any info for a few of the other speakers mentioned at upscale. Is it a discontinued line?

·
Registered
205 Posts
The Anatal and Altea are continued. The Celius is probably being redesigned and will join the Esprit EX line later. The Stratos line is discontinued which the Naia is their mid priced floor standing speaker.

The Celius is their best selling speaker ever and a Stereophile B recommended floor standing. You can email Kal Rubinstein, it would be good to get another opinion from a objective reviewer. Check the Anatal and the Altea in the Esprit line they have been upgraded.

These are 90db efficient speakers, 3 way and all drivers hand made in house.

I find the Triangle to be very accurate speakers. If you go to Stereophile website Mikey Fremer or Sam Tellig I believe raves about the sound and value of the Anatal.

Here's a link to Opera Loudspeakers:

http://www.operaloudspeakers.com/lis...ica/opera5.asp

They are drop dead gourgeous and have a warmer sound than the Triangle. Upscale has these usually on sale the new and older models. The fit and finish is more art than furniture and the sound is phemonenal. The drivers are custom made by Vifa/Scanspeak and the tweeter I believe is made by Seas.

Check out the Callas line. Art Dudely has used these as his reference monitors for years.

These will cost around 3000.00 a pair and worth every penny.

Check them out, these are audiophile pedigreed speakers and coveted in the A'gon and Audio Asylum forums.

I wish I can say you won't be disappointed but these are excellent 3 way speakers. The fun is actually doing the homework to find the sound and equipment you like.

Vienna Acoustics are more popular here but perhaps not as accurate of a speaker as the others. Here's a picture of the Beethoven Grands:

http://gon8.audiogon.com/i/c/f/1200440877.jpg

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I talked to a guy that recommended against the Triangle and Opera based on the fact that I like hard rock, and he also said he doesn't think my Onkyo 875 would be able to drive them properly.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whargoul /forum/post/13008225

I talked to a guy that recommended against the Triangle and Opera based on the fact that I like hard rock, and he also said he doesn't think my Onkyo 875 would be able to drive them properly.

I fully disagree that the Onkyo cannot handle the Triangle, as they are one of the easiest speakers to drive. On the Opera I cannot tell.

Also, triangle is very good with hard rock, as I have played heavy metal on Comete's, and liked how they sounded; some people might not think it is a good pair as to the lot of details a Triangle can play. If you listen to Hard Rock alot, you might want to check Monitor Audio Silver Series. Saturday Audio has a sale on the S2 and B2.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts