AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for suggestions on a new 5.1 audio setup for my living room. It will be used mostly for tv and movies, but will also use some for music. I would like to spend around $2500 for the speakers and receiver. Looking for ideas for the best setup for the money. I know people always say spend more on the LCR speakers especially the center, and go cheaper on the rear? I also need the receiver to be able to run a second zone for my backyard. Would like the receiver to have the latest and greatest connections and software for home media. I have had a couple installers out, one priced energy speakers and the other Klipsch? I am also kicking around Speakercraft and Triad. Any opinion, suggestions and thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I know just enough to probably be dangerous
. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
please consider placing the "front 3" speakers down at seated ear level, or near that level. They can be stand alone enclosures in the room or in-wall speakers. Putting all 5 speakers in the ceiling creates the "voice of god" effect. You are watching the TV, but all the audio is coming from above and it's not centered on the TV.

Will the powered subwoofer enclosure be in the room ?

some additional questions, please....

room size, does it have to be an in-ceiling install, size of HDTV ???

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will post a picture tonight. I know in-ceiling is not the most optimal setup, but I have heard a couple setups that sounded good. In-walls are not an option and my wife does not like the freestanding or care about the audio. This is not my dedicated music or movie room, but i want a decent setup for both. I am trying to appease myself and her at the same time, i have to live with her. If freestanding are that much better and I can be convinced I may have to do some negotiating. The tv is is a 60" Bravia LED-LCD. Like i said I will post a pic and dimensionis tonight. Thanks for the response.

Yes the sub will be in the room or in closet with grill in wall.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is pics of the room. the main area is 20' by 17', but it opens up to kitchen and breakfast nook. It is not the ideal setup, but like I said I am just trying to get something decent that the family and I will be happy with.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts