AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I've read through a lot of threads, but I can't find one with exactly what I am looking for so I thought I would start my own thread. When it comes to sound I would say I am a novice, but I currently own a surround sound system that's 10 or so years old. I know the basics, but I think it's time to step it up and really make my movies/games sound good.


Room size 15.5 (L)' x 15' (W) x 9' (H)

Budget $1500

Needs: 5.1 speaker system

Current Receiver: Pioneer VSX-1021

Usage: 60% TV & Gaming, 30% Movies, 10% Music


I currently don't have a blu-ray player but own an XBOX and a 55' LG TV


I really don't have limitations on the speakers, I am good with towers up front if it means better sound. I can either wall mount the rear surrounds, or there is a ledge behind where the couch would go, however it's a few feat above ear level, so it might be better to mount the rear speakers.


I really just need help picking speakers that will work in my budget and sound good with my receiver. I really appreciate all the help.


-Chris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
686 Posts
In that budget range, you will hear lots of different opinions. You will have to listen to the speakers yourself to really decide.


But I think you should take a look at the pioneer budget speakers. 2 x sp-fs52-lr, 1 x sp-c22, 2 x sp-bs22-lr. I just got these and I'm really impressed with them for the price. I like them better than the infinity primus speakers which I used to have, p362, pc350.


Other speakers I would try to listen to would be ascend acoustics cmt-340se for front and cbm-170se for surround. Also, the kef q series has gotten a lot of positive feedback, but that route may stretch your budget. You may want to consider passing on the subwoofer being in a townhouse.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by csgamer  /t/1468309/5-1-setup-in-new-townhouse#post_23204460


In that budget range, you will hear lots of different opinions. You will have to listen to the speakers yourself to really decide.


But I think you should take a look at the pioneer budget speakers. 2 x sp-fs52-lr, 1 x sp-c22, 2 x sp-bs22-lr. I just got these and I'm really impressed with them for the price. I like them better than the infinity primus speakers which I used to have, p362, pc350.


Other speakers I would try to listen to would be ascend acoustics cmt-340se for front and cbm-170se for surround. Also, the kef q series has gotten a lot of positive feedback, but that route may stretch your budget. You may want to consider passing on the subwoofer being in a townhouse.

Thanks for the help so far. I expected to receive a lot of different responses but if I am hearing two or three people all confirming similar responses then I know I am looking in the right direction.


I def want the sub. We're actually the corner townhouse and the room in is in the basement and that room sits further back in the home since it is a partial so I don't share a wall with a neighbor. I mean I don't need it to sound like an IMAX movie in my family room, but I want the system to have some balls.


Anyone else have some opinions? Let me know what other information I can provide to give you guys some more to go off of. What are the thoughts on the Pioneer Andrew Jones speakers? Better/worse than the budget Pioneers?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by csgamer  /t/1468309/5-1-setup-in-new-townhouse#post_23204460


In that budget range, you will hear lots of different opinions. You will have to listen to the speakers yourself to really decide.


But I think you should take a look at the pioneer budget speakers. 2 x sp-fs52-lr, 1 x sp-c22, 2 x sp-bs22-lr. I just got these and I'm really impressed with them for the price. I like them better than the infinity primus speakers which I used to have, p362, pc350.


Other speakers I would try to listen to would be ascend acoustics cmt-340se for front and cbm-170se for surround. Also, the kef q series has gotten a lot of positive feedback, but that route may stretch your budget. You may want to consider passing on the subwoofer being in a townhouse.

Also, since I did say I wanted a sub, if you could give a sub recommendation that would be awesome. If I need to spend 2K to really get into something decent and that would be a difference then I'll look at those options.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,705 Posts
I own the Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SEs. Fabulous sound for the money, so I would 2nd the Ascend recommendation.


Is your room open to other rooms? Subs are affected by the entire room volume including adjacent open areas. If that room is sealed, then the SVS PB-1000 could be a good choice unless you are a basshead. SVS is an Internet direct subwoofer vendor that has very good prices. Other very good ID sub vendors are HSU Research, Rythmik Audio, Outlaw Audio, and Power Sound Audio.
 
  • Like
Reactions: moonbbad

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,013 Posts
+1 on the ascends! Only heard the cmt340s, and those are outstanding!
 
  • Like
Reactions: moonbbad

·
Registered
Joined
·
686 Posts
I have less experience with subs, but I can't stand boomy bass. If I was to get a subwoofer, I wouldn't bother with a cheap one. Rythmik and Hsu subwoofers get great reviews. If I was in your situation, I would probably try to get dual subwoofers to balance out the bass in the room.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
8,744 Posts
Check out the Hsu Hybrid 2 5.1 package , that will get you a killer sound system for less than $1500 delivered with a serious subwoofer. If you really want some heavy duty bass, either double up on the sub for that system or step up to the Hybrid 3 or Hybrid 15 systems, they come with some real beasts for subs. To mount the surround speakers, check out the Videosecu side-clamping speaker mounts , they are the best speaker mounts anywhere near their price range. Other speakers to look at are the HTD Level Three Bookshelf and center speakers, but I would not want the HTD subs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145  /t/1468309/5-1-setup-in-new-townhouse#post_23210555


I own the Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SEs. Fabulous sound for the money, so I would 2nd the Ascend recommendation.


Is your room open to other rooms? Subs are affected by the entire room volume including adjacent open areas. If that room is sealed, then the SVS PB-1000 could be a good choice unless you are a basshead. SVS is an Internet direct subwoofer vendor that has very good prices. Other very good ID sub vendors are HSU Research, Rythmik Audio, Outlaw Audio, and Power Sound Audio.



Here's the family room floor plan. On the far right you can see a stairwell that goes upstairs to the first floor, There's a doorway right next to the stairwell which leads to the garage, then there is the utility closet. So the room is practically sealed but you can see there is a small opening in the room there to go up the stairs. Does this help?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by csgamer  /t/1468309/5-1-setup-in-new-townhouse#post_23212342


I have less experience with subs, but I can't stand boomy bass. If I was to get a subwoofer, I wouldn't bother with a cheap one. Rythmik and Hsu subwoofers get great reviews. If I was in your situation, I would probably try to get dual subwoofers to balance out the bass in the room.

Dual subs for even a room that small? I don't want boomy bass either. I like clean sounding bass,. I don't want the room to shake for every little thing, but if it's a huge explosion I definitely want the sub to reflect that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,705 Posts
Dual subs improve the SQ because they provide a smoother frequency response throughout the room. So better sounding bass



As for whether or not a single PB-1000 would be enough for that room, it will depend on your listening habits. Probably would be for many people. If you are a basshead or want to blast your setup as loud as you can go, you might want to step up to a 12" ported sub from HSU Research, SVS Sound, or Outlaw Audio. Any of their 12" ported subs would do really well in that size room. Here are reviews of a couple of them:

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/speakers/subwoofers/pb12-nsd
http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/speakers/subwoofers/lfm-1-ex-review
 
  • Like
Reactions: moonbbad
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top