AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm posting there questions in the speakers forum as my previous post in HT forum did not get feedback.

I'm working on setting up the home theater in the living room, I know that it is not the ideal setup but I don't have the room/space for a dedicated HT setup. The living room is open floor concept, so it is pretty big as it extends to the kitchen. I would like to know what kind of audio setup is needed considering the open floor plan.

After some reading on the the forums, I'm thinking of Klipsch RF7 fronts and RC 64 center but am not sure of what setup is needed to achieve optimum sound for this space. I don't have enough space behind the couch to place the rear speakers although I think I can fit in a stand but not sure about this as the rear speakers will then be close to seating.

So is 5.1 even an option for me? I do like to setup everything in one shot. I was looking at RS-62 surrounds but undecided.

Another question on the speaker placement-

I only have 14.5" W & 30"D on either side of my TV/AVR stand. I see that Klipsch RF7 is huge with 11.6"W & 16" D. Is that too tight for the space I have? If this will have a negative impact on the sound, I may have to look at other speakers. I'm really looking forward to hear suggestions. TIA.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Those speakers will fill the space no problem. With the space you have on either side though it may be a little tight. I prefer to spread my mains out a little more. You can always try the rear walls for surrounds. I have done this a few times. Its better than not having anything.

I have also laid surrounds on the floor facing up behind the sofa with great results.

Maybe some pictures of the actual space and some measurements of the walls themselves may help a bit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input. The area that I'm trying to fit my LCR is 8' H x 9' W and 30" depth as in the floor plan. I already have a TV stand with PS3/AVR/DVR and I have only 14.5" W available on either side. So, I'm restricted by the available space here for fronts.

I plant to put an 120" AT screen in front of these speakers to watch movies which will be 70% of this HT usage and the rest being music.

I do have some space on the left of the couch next to the nook in the plan. How far are the surrounds supposed to be from the seating?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts