AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this is a stupid question, this is my first crack at a semi-decent home theater.

I currently have a 5.1 system with seperate speakers (just a cheap Bose system). In the near future, I'm upgrading to a bigger TV which may cut down on the space I have available for a front right speaker to basically nothing.

For that reason, I'm considering getting a soundbar. I'm concerned on how good the surround sound will be.

I recently purchased a 7.1 Onkyo receiver (TX-SR876). I am wondering if I can connect a soundbar to the receiver for 5 speakers, then run 2 other speakers to the rear + a sub for a full 7.1 setup?

If all that is possible, I'd greatly appreciate any suggestions on models to look at. I was leaning towards the Definitive Technology Mythos SSA-50 soundbar. I don't really know anything about speaker brands or models, so suggestions for a sub or the rear speakers would be helpful too. I'd like to keep the whole thing under $1500 if possible. Thanks!

·
Registered
875 Posts
Polk Audio surround bars (except the active 360) and I think the Mythos SSA-50, too, take 5 surrounds speaker channels, so you can expand the system to 6 or 7 channels with matching rear speakers.

Something like Mirage Uni-Theater only replaces the front 3, so you can add 2-4 Nanosats for surrounds.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
A 3 channel surround bar with separate rear speakers (either 5.1 or 7.1) would be my choice if I HAD to use a bar up front. Do you have no space above or below the TV for individual speakers?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have space for a center and left speaker. Directly to the right of the TV is a door, small NYC apartment.

I haven't bought my TV yet, and my heart was bent on a 60-inch Elite Kuro...If I stepped down to the 50-inch, space would not be an issue, but I'm really hoping I can have the 60-inch and still have decent sound.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
If you can settle for something other than a Kuro, there are plenty of 56" models out there that would offer a good screen/speaker space compromise. I personally would not sacrifice great sound for a marginally bigger screen.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts