Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'd like to ask for your take on my speaker placement. I pretty much will have to stick with what I do now because of budget and running cable through walls so I'm hoping to make the right fundamental choices.

Right now I'm struggling with how to place my speakers because I will have to place the front left and right down low to match the height the center will be below the screen and on a nice new stand. I want the best pan to the rears which will have to be up high because of no space behind couch at back wall. I don't know if it would help to have those speakers firing from sides at listeners ears and if it would help to have them horizontal or vertical. The screen will have to begin at 18" from floor in order to keep it at good eye level. Do you think putting the bookshelf sized speakers up a little higher and to sides of screen would help overall balance or would the uniformity of the fronts position be more important? I don't have the side wall to the right of the listener is right to the end of the couch and the left side would allow for moving rear away from listeners left side from end of seating.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
If your system is for watching movies, you don't have to worry about matching the heights of the two surround speakers to any of the fronts. High and somewhat behind is best for these speakers. Place the front speakers with their tweeters at the same height, if possible.

The left and right surrounds are primarily for non-localized ambiance. When there is specific panning to them, it is typically a "flyover" effect - another reason why high is good.

- Terry

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
1. Most speakers won't sound good that low to the ground (including centers). I'd have all of the front three tweeters as close to ear level as possible meaning the left+right will be spot on and the center ends up above or below the screen. All else equal you should notice the height disparity less if the center is above the screen.

2. The surrounds will work better (be more immersive and less noticeable) positioned a few feet above ear level especially if they're close to you. As long as you're looking forward, you don't really notice height behind and beside you. My side surrounds are over 6' off the ground, surround back arround the 3' range, and there isn't a noticeable difference.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My ears will be at 36" and the center tweeter will be at approx 15" and tilted up a bit. Unfortunately I recently bought a Sound Anchor CC3 center stand and would *hate* to have to give it up, it is nice! With a 52x92 screen that I absolutely want to have a good eye level with then the screen begins at 18" from the ground. There is no way I can see mounting the speaker above the screen, at least not without cutting into it bigtime, it is a monster. It's a Legacy Silver Screen. I received it from a *very* good friend, it is really out of my league. :)

Since it looks like I have to make a choice, I choose best viewing over best sound....hey, someone has to make the call. ;)

So that being the case and adhering to your advice I will put the left and rights at 36" from tweeter. As for the surrounds, I will go with them near the ceiling (90") to our sides as far back as I get get 'em which would put them just a hair behind the ear and tilted down. Also, they will be mounted vertically (normal).

Speak up now before the plaster flies. Again, thank you everyone that has provided me with your insights!!!!!!

Jeff

·
Registered
5,605 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You know I had gone by that before but didn't pick up on the 2-3 feet above listeners heads for the rears.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Higher placement just helps make surround effects less direct and less localized. In commercial theaters these speakers are well above listener's ears.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.