AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey..guys need some suggestions..on what to buy ......I have at the moment a 5.1 polk audio system..RT 600/csi A4 center/FXi300/rear/and psw111..subwoofer...I want to sell the lot and get a new system..want to stay with flour standers ,budget is $1000 ..does not have to be brand new will buy a good used set.... any suggestion welcome thanks.......

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
I think you actually have a system that can easily be improved on within your budget, especially with respect to the inadequate subwoofer you now have..

The driver of the sub is way too small, it does not have enough power, and even the manufacturer only claims response down to 40 hz, which does not really make it a SUBwoofer. You need a lot more power and a 12-inch driver to get good response well below 30 Hz.

I suggest that you go to Amazon, spend $389 on the Klipsch RW12D subwoofer, and then see what your system sounds like. You need the new subwoofer in any case. You can decide if further changes need to be made after you get it. First thing first.

Set your subwoofer to roll off at around 60 Hz, and use your front speakers down to 60 hz.

I think the improvement in your system will amaze you.

If you try this and still think you want better floorstanding speakers, The RTi A5 would be the next logical step to get a major improvement. The main driver of the RT600 has been commented on by reviewers as a weakness with regard to adequate power and clarity.

If the RTi A5 is over budget, the TSi 400 would also be a significant improvement over the RT600, and is less money.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks ...for the advice ..i think i will start with the avent... of looking for new subwoofer...as you mention ..a sub may ..be what i may just need for now ..and go into the rest of the system ..as i evaluate the updates one by one .....good looking thanks again...commsysman..

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
commsysman.... what you think about the lava brand of sub's ?...

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ack-bk the room is small , about 12+14 with one door way ...no door just an opening to the dining room....that's one you made a good point ...asking about the room size ..i didn't want to big a subwoofer.. or the front as well ..have to keep the wife in mind when it comes to space..lol you know what i mean if ur married ? i'll like to keep a small foot print ..but will like the best sound i can get ...my AVR is the pioneer vsx-1121-k just bought this unit .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts