AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I'm new to the forum as a poster, but have read it for years. I'm finally in the market to buy speakers to build my home theater. My room is fairly large, 18x25. My biggest criteria for the speakers is that they sound clean and transparent on the top end. That "quality", for me, makes a big difference. As an example, I have heard the Polk LSi's in the past, and I thought the ring tweeter sounded amazingly clear. In fact, I would even consider buying those. But, I thought I'd solicit some advise from you before rushing out blindly to hear speakers in showrooms. BTW, the only other piece in the system to date is a Pioneer SC-07 (which is currently powering a pair of *old* Def Tech Celcius bookshelf speakers in the basement). Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
those polk are real nice. They have a very warm voice, you have to determin what kind of sound you like, warm (polk lsi, b&w) or neutral (sierra, paradign), or bright (klipsch, kef xq). I personaly prefer the warm voice but other may differ. Make sure you demoed before you buy because if don't, you will regret in the long run. Most will say neutral are best, but only you know what you like.

·
Registered
872 Posts
The polk lsi series are quite inefficient and power hungry and thus require a separate/standalone amp. You can do that or look for something else that is more efficient (Energys, TSC, etc).

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Did you just recommend TSC to someone budgeting $4k for speakers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornhulio /forum/post/17023602

The polk lsi series are quite inefficient and power hungry and thus require a separate/standalone amp. You can do that or look for something else that is more efficient (Energys, TSC, etc).

·
Registered
872 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jephdood /forum/post/17023685

Did you just recommend TSC to someone budgeting $4k for speakers?

How about some Paradigms?

·
Registered
231 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornhulio /forum/post/17024382

How about some Paradigms?

Yep - if you look hard (and I can show you where to look), and you're willing to "settle" for the studio v4, you can do a 5.0 system of 40s/CC590/20s for under 3 grand.

That would leave you 1K+ for a nice sub from Epik.

That system would absolutely rock, for both music and movies.

I recently auditioned the 40s and my current speakers, The PSB Image 25 at a local dealer. They were both driven by a NAD integrated amp (60W x2) and a NAD CD unit. I played my PSBs first, and my reaction was "yeah, for the price these are VERY nice sounding little speakers".

Then I played the studios.... And my jaw dropped.

Now granted, the studios are four times the price. Are they worth it? IMHO, yes - without a doubt. I would buy them NOW, but I can't justify it for my den system. When I finish the downstairs, they will be on the top of my list as part of a 10K+ HT. They are that good.

PM me for more info if you're interested.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts