Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

My girlfriend just moved into a new apartment and finally has a room big enough to support a 5.1 HT system. I want to buy her a receiver and 5.1 speakers as a congratulatory gift and want to spend no more than $1000.

Recommendations please.

Thanks in advance,

TM

·
Registered
319 Posts
I can't really give any specific recommendations on this, but try doing a search on this forum (Audio and Hi-Fi section). In the past few weeks, there have been a lot of people asking questions very similar to this. There have also been questions on cheap receivers.

Also are you (or your girlfriend) open to HTIB (Home Theater In Box) option, or is that out? Just thought I'd get that question out of the way anyone that has suggustions.

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
I dont know about specifics but you want to invest good money in the sub, center and receiver. Those are the most important parts to a HT system. Personally I got a Pioneer Receiver, and just bought a Wharfedale system. I have a Verwin Vega HTS-12 subwoofer I got off ebay for about 200 shipped. Ebay is a great place to get the subs... My sub retails at about 600 so i got it for quite a bit less.

·
Registered
404 Posts
go to ubid they have nice lower priced speakers -i got some wharfedale emerald 97s - dahlquist 15 inch sub-michaura m55s -i also picked up a new jvc 8010 5.1 tuner for my garage for 204 plus shipping came with 2 year warranty that jvc honors .

you can put a nice little sysem together

·
Premium Member
7,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks...I probably should have been more specific. I'm not in love with the idea of an HTIB. However, I know the category has come a long ways since they were first introduced.

I'm just not familiar with what's out there at this price point - whether HTIB or inidividually assembled components. I'd rather buy 'new' b/c I don't think she'd appreciate a modest increase in quality in exchange for used equipment.

My HT consists of B&Wn 802s, HTM1, Def Tech surrounds, Integra Research RDC7 pre/pro, Theta Dreadnaught amp and Marantz DLP fron PJ. So, I'm pretty familiar with what the pieces need to be and where to concentrate the $ ;)

Unfortunately, it wouldn't be appropriate for me to spend more than $1k at this time.

Thanks again for any and all thoughts.

TM

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.