AVS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Hi!

Im very new here and in the "HT"-world. Im trying to tweak my livingroom into a home theater and for now I have a 100" screen with a Sony HW20.

Now Im looking into a surround system with 5 speakers and a sub. I dont want any floorstanding speakers, they have to be on a stand or attached to the wall. The amp I will be using is the Denon 3312 and its not included in the budget.

Preference:

Ive listen to a system totally out of my league, the Klipsch THX ultra 2 ( http://www.klipsch.com/thx-ultra2-home-theater-system ) and it blew me away. That is the type of character I want to the sound. It was insanely detailed and it sounded exactly like going to the cinema and watching the "'21st Century..."-intro.

For music Im all good as long as it doesnt sound like completely crap, Im mostly using streamingservices which are low quality anyway.

My thoughts:

Looking around I find that a Jamo D500 isnt out of my league, however I would have a big trouble setting up the speakers and I dont have and "side walls" to attach the speakers. I only got the back wall against the sofa, otherwise I would have to use stands or build an arm mounted to the wall.

Can I combine a set of 3pc D500 LCR with other speakers? When Im watching movies with my current setup I notice alot of activity in the surround speakers, making me think they need to match.

Right now I got an Infinity Beta system which is OK, music sounds good but in movies "Im not there" if you know what I mean.

Budget isnt written in stone.

Thank you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

That is an over-view at the room.

Roof-height is 2.7m

Red square = Speakers today

Soffa = Sofa

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
What brands are available near you? It sounds like you want high efficiency theater speakers, to get the dynamic sound found in theaters. Depending on your budget, check out Procella Audio, I know they have international dealers and would give you the sound you are looking for. JBL probably is available there and their cinema series would be a good choice.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I will have to insert a pic hehe,

Thats it pretty much. Procella would be a dream. A set is easily 12,000$ over here.

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
I totally missed your budget in the title, Procella is a common dream

I don't know if you are going to get a big upgrade in sound over your current Infinity Betas. Getting that kind of dynamic theater sound does not come cheap unless you are comfortable with DIY. You can buy speaker kits that come with pre-cut cabinets and assembled crossovers, and simply just glue and screw them together.

Erich at DIY sound group will ship internationally, so this could be a good option, you won't be able to get anywhere near this performance without spending a lot more money.

2 of these: http://www.diysoundgroup.com/waveguide-speaker-kits/fusion8-kit.html

1 of these: http://www.diysoundgroup.com/waveguide-speaker-kits/fusion8-mtm-kit.html

Keep a pair of your current speakers for surrounds, and then go with a pair of excellent subs: http://www.svsound.com/subwoofers/dual-subwoofers/dual-pb-2000

The key with high efficiency speakers like these, and the ones you heard, is having equally capable subs. This would make for a fantastic sounding system, and get you the kind of sound you want, within budget. It only takes a little bit of assembly, and you can paint them black, or buy some wood veneer, the options are endless.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon  /t/1526572/5-1-surround-2000-ht-system#post_24588077

Erich at DIY sound group will ship internationally, so this could be a good option, you won't be able to get anywhere near this performance without spending a lot more money.

2 of these: http://www.diysoundgroup.com/waveguide-speaker-kits/fusion8-kit.html

1 of these: http://www.diysoundgroup.com/waveguide-speaker-kits/fusion8-mtm-kit.html

Keep a pair of your current speakers for surrounds, and then go with a pair of excellent subs: http://www.svsound.com/subwoofers/dual-subwoofers/dual-pb-2000

The key with high efficiency speakers like these, and the ones you heard, is having equally capable subs. This would make for a fantastic sounding system, and get you the kind of sound you want, within budget. It only takes a little bit of assembly, and you can paint them black, or buy some wood veneer, the options are endless.

Could even get them a real paintjob haha.

Reading reviews they seem very promising, but it would be a big miss if they arent what they seem.

Have you heard them in person? I guess thats the sound I want, but its so cheap.

If its them compared to a Jamo D500, would they still be superior?

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
DIY is such a good way to stretch your dollar, there is a lot of money in labor and finish. I have not heard these SEOS kits, but I try to keep up with the DIY threads on them and everyone seems incredibly happy with them. I would wager they are a big step up from those Jamo speakers, I would compare them more to JTR/Pi/JBL.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is there any reason not to have them as surroundspeakers?

If they get me the "theater sound" I want I gotta buy them with 1-2 subs. Doesnt seem to hard to assemble.

If the personal reviews are true, they gotta be good.

As long as they sound as good at lower volumes its all good, cant blast the speakers all the time because of neighboors haha

·
Registered
6,814 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wessmen  /t/1526572/5-1-surround-2000-ht-system#post_24590859

Is there any reason not to have them as surroundspeakers?

If they get me the "theater sound" I want I gotta buy them with 1-2 subs. Doesnt seem to hard to assemble.

If the personal reviews are true, they gotta be good.

As long as they sound as good at lower volumes its all good, cant blast the speakers all the time because of neighboors haha

You could also make them into surrounds, but they are aren't a small speaker, and getting surrounds puts you over budget.

You can buy the assembled crossovers from that site as well, so assembly is fairly simple. I would spend some time in the DIY sub-forum of AVS, and read through some build logs, and see what all goes into building these speakers. The SEOS kits have been around for some time now and have a large following, but it's always good to understand what you are getting in to.

I would start off with a single pair and build them, and see how you like them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok

The fusion 6 is better is size, but are using a different woofer.

I also notice they arent the same in terms of ohmens and sensitivity.

8Ohms - 94db

6Ohms - 98.5db

What will this difference make? Gotta make something?

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
The MTM speakers will have a higher output with the additional woofer, but in terms of mixing the Fusion 6/8 with their respective MTM center, there won't be an issue.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon  /t/1526572/5-1-surround-2000-ht-system#post_24591457

The MTM speakers will have a higher output with the additional woofer, but in terms of mixing the Fusion 6/8 with their respective MTM center, there won't be an issue.

My interpritation sucks, i guess i can combine fusion 8, the mtm and the fusion 6 and they sound just alike? Only EQ them to correct level because of ohmens and db?

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
The impedance does not effect sound quality, that determines the amount of resistance to current flow from your amp to speakers. You Denon is rated to handle 6ohm loads, so don't worry about the difference. The sensitivity is how load a speaker will play given a certain amount of power. When you run your Audyssey setup, it will set all the speaker levels.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts