AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed this to my computer via usb. I have a toslink/optical cable going from my xbox 360 to this adapter. It sounds like it's only doing 2 channel, how do i get it to go through all the 5.1's hooked up to my pc? I'm on windows 7

·
Registered
885 Posts
If you are using a digital input on the external sound card, it is likely that the input only supports 2 channel PCM. Usually only A/V receivers support 5.1 on a digital input. It's a licensing issue. That said, you might be able to use something like Ac3filter to upmix the 2.0 to 5.1 on output. It would not be true to the original source, however.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply I got ac3filter installed and was fiddling with the settings, how would i get the sound to output 5.1? Which settings need to be enabled/disabled?
Quote:
That said, you might be able to use something like Ac3filter to upmix the 2.0 to 5.1 on output.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Sure, check normalize matrix, expand stereo, voice control and bass redirection, set output format to 3/2 plus sub 5.1.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When I change the xbox 360 output to Dolby Digital 5.1 all i can hear is like scratching noise or static. And it seems as if the speakers are all playing the same sound is there any way the to get sound to direct exactly to each speaker? Or is that what you meant by it's not true to the original source

·
Registered
885 Posts
The best you can do with that setup is to output 2.0 from the xbox into the pc and then perform a fake 5.1 conversion on it. It just fills in the other speakers with the same sounds as contained in the left front and right front. Setting your xbox to output 5.1 means you would need a dolby digital decoder in the sound card, which is big dollars for a license - so no one but Creative Labs has the license. Even with Creative products, the last time I tried them out, the input did not work as well as an A/V receiver.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.