AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of upgrading my home "theater", and I bought a set of Polk Audio RM6750 speakers and a Sony STR-DH800 (still not sure that I shouldn't exchange it for a Yamaha RX-V665, but that's another post). My previous speaker setup had my surround speakers on the back wall, facing the front wall, slightly above the seating area. This was done because my couch (primary seating area) is just about against the back wall (maybe 6 or 7 inches out). When I set up the new speakers last night, I put them on stands on either side of the couch facing each other (2 or 3 feet away from each side of the couch roughly at ear level). The sound is okay, but I haven't completely set up all the levels on the receiver. My dilemma is this: I don't like the speaker stands. They make the room look crowded and uncomfortable, and they just look like they're in the way. I'm not sure that I can mount the speakers on the side walls, but I'll look into that tonight. What I'm trying to find out is if I'm losing too much of the benefit of surround speakers by keeping them mounted on the back wall, a few inches behind/above the couch.

I'm using this setup primarily for TV, movies, and video games, so music isn't so much of a priority.

Any advice or thoughts are appreciated!

Thanks!

·
Registered
31,190 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by markdavid570 /forum/post/18152335

What I'm trying to find out is if I'm losing too much of the benefit of surround speakers by keeping them mounted on the back wall, a few inches behind/above the couch.

How far apart (symmetrically) does the back wall allow you to spread the surround speakers?

·
Registered
Revel M22 & C32, JBL P520WS, Revel W563 & Infinity ERS 110II, SVS SB-2000 (x2), Anthem MRX 720
750 Posts
I was in the same boat at my last residence. Left the surrounds on the back wall because having stands at the sides was not feasible. Never liked it.

When I moved, I got the surrounds at the sides of the listening position (actually slightly behind--see attached graphic), and it was a night/day difference. Set the levels and watch some action movies. If you don't think the envelopment is worth tolerating the stands, then the back wall is your only option.

5.1 Setup.pdf 40.005859375k . file

·
Registered
31,190 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by markdavid570 /forum/post/18152927

Well...without measuring, I'd have to guess about 8 feet or so.

In that case, I would spread the surrounds the full 8 feet apart. Don't point the speakers forward; instead, aim them inward, towards the sweet spot.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just looked at my living room to see if it would be better to mount the surround speakers on the side walls, but that doesn't seem to be an option. Then I thought that I'd just move the speakers/stands back closer to the walls, and all of a sudden they didn't seem to be so bad! I'll have to see what my wife thinks about them being there, but hopefully we'll get used to them being there so that we actually get the benefit of surround sound!

Now...I just need to figure out if I'm going to keep the Sony reciever or exchange it in for a Yamaha. Ugh...these decisions drive me crazy!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.