AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I'm new to the forum, but have been dabbling in amateur HT for awhile now. I am in the market for surround speakers to compliment a pair of Onix X-l-s fronts and an Onix x-l-c center (and a homegrown G&R Research 12" P/R sub). Receiver is an Onkyo TXSR603B.

My room is about 15'x13' with 8' ceilings. The wife has control over the room layout so there is not going to be optimal placement for the surrounds (likely stuck on bookshelves behind the couch.)

Anyway, I'd be very interested in getting some recommendations on some good value surrounds for around $200/pair? We will be watching mostly movies and TV, with some CD music. I've read a little on bipole/dipole, etc.. seems like a good idea but not sure if this is going to be possible at this price point.

Thanks very much.

NB

· Registered
1,486 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
I bought the Jamo speakers at vanns. Center, Bookshelf and Dipoles all for $238.00. Normally would be around $1000 if you paid full price. However they are in the mail and I cannot give you a review.

Did research on the brand. Supposedly they make good speakers and are a Danish manufacturer. Klipsch owns them. Just not very popular in the states.

Here is the link. http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/brand/288

Happy hunting.

· Registered
118 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blary54 /forum/post/18127212

I bought the Jamo speakers at vanns. Center, Bookshelf and Dipoles all for $238.00. Normally would be around $1000 if you paid full price. However they are in the mail and I cannot give you a review.

Did research on the brand. Supposedly they make good speakers and are a Danish manufacturer. Klipsch owns them. Just not very popular in the states.

Happy hunting.

Which ones did you buy exactly?

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by calnbs /forum/post/18127177

Do you care if they match your current speakers? color and looks?

No need to match current speakers. Actually, I would prefer black to blend in with black bookshelves that these will likely be sitting on.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone. I ended up ordering the Jamo C400SUR speakers. Figured it would be worth $80 to give them a shot, plus I've had good buying experiences with vanns in the past.

· Registered
560 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blary54 /forum/post/18127212

Here is the link. http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/brand/288

Happy hunting.

Where'd you pull that $1000 out of? haha.

· Registered
2,896 Posts
$200/pr, huh? Well, all righty...I've been a bit biased towards JBL lately, and can think of a 3-Way Bookshelf pair that was being sold within that, I'll have to hunt for it, tho.

JBL ES20BK 3-Way 5 1/4" Bookshelf Speaker - Black (Pair)

These come to approx $210, which isn't that much over...you won't regret their quality, tho...I've owned a 7.2 system from them, and almost knock my room right off the map.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.