AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am in the midst of putting together a Crestron AV system and as I am running the wires for the various rooms I became concerned that my plan of having 5.1 for a dedicated video games room, 5.1 for basic HD broadcasts if they exist in the future? And a 7.1 Dedicated HT room. May not be possible from a central control room.

First I have 8 zones of audio to be sent to 8 sets of speakers via a 16 channel Crestron amp, and a Bipad8. But I was curious with using a Crestron room solution boxes at each video location I can only send a digital audio signal from lets say a DVD player. Then a local receiver has to create the 5.1 audio output??? You can not send 5.l through any other way unless I have a separate amp for each room in the control room. I think this is not very practical at all do you agree as the length of speaker runs and the power needed to run these distances would not work.

So can I assume the only way I can get these extra zones of 5.1 is to have a separate receiver in each room where I need 5.1 with a Rs-232 control alng wit a room solution box CNXRMCLV

But what I am curious can I still have video switching from a far and audio at the local room? Does this work together or not? I guess in plain English I want to video switch all the sources and have the audio switched to 5.1 at the TV room location. Using Cat6 wires, this is what PVID 8 x 3 or PVID 8X4 video switchers use. I am not sure if I need 8x3 or 8X4 PVID ????

Has anyone had any experience with this or know what I am asking is to do is possible??? I know Crestron has a 7.1 processor and room solution all in one but you can not switch 5.1 between rooms as far as I know. And it is not possible to run 3 sets of room speakers back to one amp.

And secondly if I want to be able to have the other audio source's play into these separate receivers, is this possible also? I know I can just press a switch on receiver to make just stereo output if I am listening to music from the central control servers. Can I assume this is correct and I do not to wire up separately a 5.1 speaker arrangement in room and a separate 2 speaker set up to listen to music form lets say a radio source?

Sorry for the confusion but I am confused myself. Any light on this subject would help

Thanks

Oil Country

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
There is more then one way to do this.

The most elegant is to use IP Video distribution (sending uncompressed hi-def video as well as the accompanying multi-channel audio together on a single CAT5e or CAT6).

Or you can double up the video distribution and send the audio over a video line (since multi-channel is contained in a single digital stream).

Regardless you will need a decoder at the viewing end.

More to the point:

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
We do multiple 5.1/7.1 rooms with centrally located equipment all the time. YOu do need a 5.1/7.1 processor for each multi channel zone though. You just run the speakers back to where the amps are, just like a distributed audio system.

Any Crestron integrator has probably done this many times too.

What does your dealer think?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi thanks for the info so far, I did decide to run the extra 5.1 room from my control room. As what my dealer thinks so far? Not to much as with extensive reading and research and some good advice from some people who have worked on Crestron systems in the past I have totally designed and wired the whole house completely as an independent. I still have a few more security wires to run, but after that the wiring should be done. I must admit without direct dealer support it has had it moments. The most difficult part so far has been the lighting automation, I wish there was a way to test everything without the Pro2 programmed yet. Or is there?

Cheers

Oil Country

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Fletch as for programming I am hoping to get some help from a great on line source who is willing to help myself and a close friend attempt to get the system up and running. And this same close friend of mine who is designing a huge commercial Crestron system right now and has very close connections to Crestron engineers and associates and software programs. I know this will still be very difficult but I am hoping for the best. My most major concern is the lighting, if the programming can not be done properly I will be without lights when we move in. Or at least not very functional lights as I can override them at the panel I guess.

And for sourcing the equipment I have already bought everything from Touch Panels, keypads, amps, processors, wire, controllers, TSTATs all the lighting modules etc.. etc.. directly from a local Crestron supplier here and from on line sources. I am only missing 10 keypads pretty well. I got my CAEN enclosure to house for all my lighting modules tonight and I was rather impressed of the size of it and construction. Hope everything that goes into it works how I envision it.

Fletch do you think I am taking on way to much without a actual programmer on hand to do this? HE says he will send me the program once he is done and we can work out the bugs from a far. This on line friend is a outstanding person for offering to help me with this but I am still a little worried about lack of lights and Heat when the time comes. But I have read so much about Crestron products I know them better inside and out than the actual dealers we have here.

Cheers

Oil Country

·
Registered
11,020 Posts
If only it were as easy to see real train wrecks ahead of time in real life, a lot of lives could be saved

·
Registered
11,020 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Country /forum/post/12914713

My most major concern is the lighting, if the programming can not be done properly I will be without lights when we move in.

If the system has been properly designed and documented that would not be my primary concern.
Quote:
Fletch do you think I am taking on way to much without a actual programmer on hand to do this? He says he will send me the program once he is done and we can work out the bugs from a far. This on line friend is a outstanding person for offering to help me with this...

Is he an outstanding friend because he has helped you to bypass channels he is not supposed to help you bypass (assuming he is an authorized programmer), or because he is giving you good advice? Because I'm an integrator that does very large jobs and knows Crestron inside and out and I won't even consider doing a project without one of our programmers on-site. IMO one of the best questions to ask a programmer is if they need to visit the project. When they tell you no, run like hell.

As always, depending on scope and other factors, there are exceptions.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the words of caution QQQ. I know I am taking a fairly risking chance by doing this by myself. I hope everything does work for the project as planned. I do understand how everything is suppose to work and how everything is to be drawn up for proper programming. However the programming is what is the unknown. As for my friend here, he is not an official Crestron integrator but he is in charge of a huge Crestron project right now and is working with integrators currently. I am hoping this project is one of those exceptions that can be done independently.

And if all else fails there is always outsourcing I guess? I know I will pay a premium if this occurs

Trust me if I can do this and everything works as planned I will let you know
Or call you for help

Cheers

Oil Country

1 - 9 of 9 Posts