AVS Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just did something bass-ackwards and obtained ( through credit card reward points) a Yamaha 663 and I am now looking for the best bookcase 5.1 system that I can obtain for ~ $1000 or less. The room that I will have the system in is a 15 wide by 20 long bonus room over an attached garage. The room is closed off with some sound proofing from the adjacent library and is carpeted. Though the room is fair sized in area, the height is 8 and one-feet and sloped to 6 ft walls on one side and 4 ft walls on the 20 foot length of the room so the room volume is not large. Because of the location of the two small windows on one end and my reluctance to block my mountain view, I have built a corner cabinet and placed my HDTV and components in one corner of this room. The main seating area is a couch facing the the corner unit at a distance of 10 feet. Because of the angle of the couch, one end is within 2 feet of the side wall so I guess the surrounds would have to be located on floor stands close to the back of the couch on either side.

This is probably more info than you need but perhaps it will color any recommendations you might have. I will be using the system for listening to music as much, if not more, than movies, etc. I am considering two systems, the Orb Audio Mod 2 Home theater speaker system or I was wondering if maybe five Paradigm Atom Monitor speakers w/ an 8 to 10 inch sub would be a better way to go. Or, is there a better Paradigm combination given the room and cost limitations?

I've made arrangements to listen to the Paradigms this week and I can get the Orbs shipped to my home for a 30 day trial for only $9.00 return fee if I'm not satisfied. I realize that the perception of the best sound is very subjective, but I would appreciate any thoughts you might have on suitability of these systems or any comparable systems given my room limitations and preferences.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts