AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings.

I am a relative newbie in audio now, so need some help in figuring out what to look for and do with a new house (boy do I feel stupid). I saw another post or two on similar issues, but didn't really find what I was looking for.

House is brand new, family room (obviously not an acoustic hall) has in-ceiling wiring for 4 speakers (5.1 is wired). Center is not in the ceiling.

I have never read about a lot of success with in-ceiling mounted speakers, but am willing to go there if they really will sound good (ex. in The Matrix, I want to be able to hear bullets landing behind me, not above me). I am willing to mount speakers from the ceiling as well (the wiring is covered by electrical blanks, I don't know if they are joist mounted or not, but from where they were put, I think so), but would prefer them to be moderately unobtrusive in the room.

I have to buy the whole system, but am starting with speakers to at least figure out where to start.

Would be grateful for any suggestions (but please remember, it has been 20 years since I did anything other than walk into a store and buy the rack system, this is the first time my wife has let me really shop).

Many thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have been doing some research into components, here is what I am thinking so far: Comments welcome, I don't want to make more of a mistake than I did by having the pre-wires ceiling mounted.

Receiver:

Denon AVR-2809CI

Speakers (in-ceiling):

L/R: Either: Klipsch 5800 in-ceilings or AIM 8 One

Rear: Either: Kliscpch 5800 in-ceilings or AIM One Wides

Center Channel (not in-ceiling):

Polk CSi A6

Sub-woofer:

Polk DSW Pro 500

Comments, laughs, better suggestions? My goal for speakers (all 6) is to stay under $2200, $1k is max for receiver.

Thanks again (and I have learned a lot reading here today, so thanks for all the good information as well).

·
Registered
820 Posts
If I had a $2200 budget, I'd get an even less expensive receiver. Say, somethingin the $600 range. (As far as a manufacturer, they are all very similar in that price range. Denon, Onkyo, Yamaha, etc are all fine). That will allow for a nicer subwoofer and speakers which will have a much more profound difference in your experience than a receiver with some more bells and whistles. The speaker choice is going to be personal preference so you should go demo them in person at some local stores. The SpeakerCraft gear is good quality and I have a lot of experience with their sister company, Proficient Audio. http://www.proficientaudio.com/main.html

Have fun!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
that helps...

I was actually planning $2200 for the speakers alone, total budget not to exceed $3200, but I will still think about that.

Now I just have to find somewhere that sells the speakers locally (my new town is pretty small) and go listen.

Appreciate the response.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.