AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am almost 100% sold on the 608, but I want to plan my entire setup and budget before I make final decisions. I want to stay under $1,000 for the receiver and a 5.1 surround system. Right now I am looking at the Klipsch HD500 for it's price and value. This paired with the 608 would let me stay under budget. Some info about my theatre: Living room is small, probably 12'x12 without measuring, but it flows into my dining room with a half wall separating. TV is a Samsung LN46B750, located in a corner.

Components;

Samsung Bluray BD-C5500

Western Digital Mybook World Edition NAS Nintendo 64 (don't laugh)

HP Laptop running Vista via HDMI


I will use the sound system 50/50 for music and Video. I prefer smaller speakers than can be wall mounted, but i need them to be loud enough to hear throughout the house (only 1100 sq ft)


Thanks for any help!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoBronze /forum/post/0


Wondering the same as you dood...


Was looking at a set, "Energy Take Classic". Not one bad review anywhere on the net.


lulz @the N64....

I just did some research on these and after Christmas I am going to pull the trigger on them. The website recommends using "port plugs" if they will be wall mounted... Any input on that?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,512 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by haroldt /forum/post/19614423


I just did some research on these and after Christmas I am going to pull the trigger on them. The website recommends using "port plugs" if they will be wall mounted... Any input on that?

I've heard them and for micro speakers they sound pretty decent - just don't expect any bass from the satellites. The satellites only extend down to 120hz with the ports open and I can't imagine just how poor the bass extension would be with port plugs so I'd forget that idea. Instead I'd use wall mounts that allow you to keep them 3-4" or more from the wall. That's not really enough space to let the ports work but it's better than nothing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoBronze /forum/post/19584515


Wondering the same as you dood...


Was looking at a set, "Energy Take Classic". Not one bad review anywhere on the net.

Be aware that the sat crossover point is 115hz, much higher than the recommended 80 hz. 80 hz was chosen because it's the highest frequency where no test subject could localize the source. People vary and I wish I had a chart of the breakdown, but there's a percentage of the test group that could localize the source @ 115hz


Also, if you plan to listen anywhere close to referenct levels, this review indicates the speakers will run out of gas. Overall, though, the review was very positive.


The Energy system and the Onkyo will get you under budget. You might want to look at bumping up to the 708, it has more features including Audyssey Multi EQ.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
180 Posts
I've had the Energy Take Classic for about 6 months now, and I think you will be happy. They are connected to my H/K AVR 230 (50W/channel) and they go plenty loud w/ no distorting, buzzing, etc. The bass is fine. I have the sub against the wall next to a bookcase. I think the sub has a 200W amp. The satellites are easy to place and look great too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was talking to a co-worker who happens to be an audiophile and his thoughts on the Klipsch, Jamos, and Polks in the $500-600 range were all pretty much the same product, just re-branded. After looking at the energy classics I have lost interest in the Klipsch 500s.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougMac /forum/post/19614626


The Energy system and the Onkyo will get you under budget. You might want to look at bumping up to the 708, it has more features including Audyssey Multi EQ.

I actually became weary of the Onkyo 608 due to reported video processing issues even in "through" mode. I did NOT want to disable the OSD and could not get enough feedback in the product thread.


So ended up going with a Yammy 667 from newegg in a combo with a low end Polk RM75 set based on a recommendation in another thread. I accept the fact those speakers maybe crap but i got um as a throw in and if they suck over time, I'd go out an just get the Energy Takes and I'd still be under the same budget of 1000.


Just a thought. Don't mean to throw a wrench. That Onkyo is the most popular amp for 2010 in the mid-low market.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougMac
Be aware that the sat crossover point is 115hz, much higher than the recommended 80 hz. 80 hz was chosen because it's the highest frequency where no test subject could localize the source. People vary and I wish I had a chart of the breakdown, but there's a percentage of the test group that could localize the source @ 115hz
Does anyone know of a 5.1 system who's satellites go down closer to 80Hz and still keep me in the $400-$600 range? I am willing to do an a-la-cart setup if i can get better sound and stay under budget. How about Mirage omnipolar?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,003 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by haroldt
Does anyone know of a 5.1 system who's satellites go down closer to 80Hz and still keep me in the $400-$600 range? I am willing to do an a-la-cart setup if i can get better sound and stay under budget. How about Mirage omnipolar?
By nature satellite speaker have high cross overs due to their size limiting the size of drivers they can have. The lowest I have seen in satelites is 120hz.


But with your budget you could get 2 bookshelf pairs which easily reach down to 80hz and a center leaving 200 for a subwoofer
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The Mirage Nanosat 5.1 sats go down to 110Hz, I just don't know much about this "omnipolar" technology...


I am pretty sure the sats on the Energy Take Classic system go down to 115Hz.


It seems like the mirage system is better balanced, but the sub is only 75w.


If I were to do a piecemeal setup, which bookshelves come recommended?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29,111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by haroldt
I was talking to a co-worker who happens to be an audiophile and his thoughts on the Klipsch, Jamos, and Polks in the $500-600 range were all pretty much the same product, just re-branded. After looking at the energy classics I have lost interest in the Klipsch 500s.
It's pretty easy to tell the difference in sound from a Klipsch system vs Energy. Klipsch uses horn tweeters and is way brighter than Energy.


Polk is pretty bright sounding also when compared to Energy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,003 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by haroldt
The Mirage Nanosat 5.1 sats go down to 110Hz, I just don't know much about this "omnipolar" technology...


I am pretty sure the sats on the Energy Take Classic system go down to 115Hz.


It seems like the mirage system is better balanced, but the sub is only 75w.


If I were to do a piecemeal setup, which bookshelves come recommended?
They both suggest 120hz crossover which means the are dead below 120hz


Bookshelfs I like:

Polk monitor 30

Infinity p162

Infinity p152
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt
It's pretty easy to tell the difference in sound from a Klipsch system vs Energy. Klipsch uses horn tweeters and is way brighter than Energy.


Polk is pretty bright sounding also when compared to Energy.
Is brighter a good thing or a bad thing? Please excuse my incompetence, I'm a n00b to the audio world!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,816 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by haroldt
I will use the sound system 50/50 for music and Video. I prefer smaller speakers than can be wall mounted, but i need them to be loud enough to hear throughout the house (only 1100 sq ft)


Thanks for any help!
Cross the Energy and Mirage off your list - for through out the house.

A $500 to $700 small system, will not be loud enough.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,007 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 /forum/post/19653241


Cross the Energy and Mirage off your list - for through out the house.

Vanns has the Mirage OMD-5 in burled walnut for $129 a speaker. Those are pretty small, sealed, wall mountable, and have a +/- point of 60Hz. Five of those and an HSU STF-2 puts the price right at $1,000.


A couple other options is a SBS-02 setup from SVS and an Ascend HTM-200/HSU Sub setup which would be around $1,000.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,007 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by haroldt /forum/post/19653212


Is brighter a good thing or a bad thing? Please excuse my incompetence, I'm a n00b to the audio world!

It isn't a good or bad thing; it depends on your preference. I prefer speakers to be a little hot in the high end, but others prefer a laid back sound.
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top