AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Updated...

I just ordered my HK AV-254 (very excited) and now trying to pick speakers to compliment it for around $800. I think I'm pretty much decided on a choice between...

HTD

2x LEVEL2 bookshelf fr/fl

2x Middy rr/rl

LCD Center

Acoustech PA-120 sub

or

ORB Mod1

I've heard that the HTD's are pretty neutral which is what I'm pretty sure I want to compliment the HK's neutrality, not sure about the Orbs but they certainly seem to have some respect around this forum.

Looking for any input people could give on this one..

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
HTD Middies along with a Dayton Sub-120k would stretch a bit past your budget but would do well with your footprint. I'd also look at Mirage Omnisats and the afore mentioned Orbs. If you could find something like the Polk RM705 package without the sub, and add a Sub-120k, I think you could have a nice small system for your budget.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The HTD Midis look very nice, omnisats are a little pricey but very stylish too, not completely out of the question. If I did decide to go with Orbs would I be better buying 4 positionals, or 4 plus a center or indeed the whole 5.1 all from Orb or better off mixing and matching?

Also, looks do matter a little to me as they are part of my living environment, are the HTD subs any good? At least I get a cherry finish option with those.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Subs are not HTD's strong-suit... if you're looking for a more aesthetically pleasing sub, maybe look at the BIC H100 or PA-120. There are great bang-for-the-buck, go low, and look great. The PA-120 is basically a newer and slightly less expensive version of the H100.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hrm, great feedback I really appreciate it.

So for around the same price I could go with the PA-120 and 4 HTD middys plus the LCD center channel, all very pleasing to the eye with dark cherry and cream cones.

or

The orb Mod 1 5.1 package

From a detail/presicion standpoint is there an obvious winner in this comparison? As I mentioned before power is really not a deciding factor as I will be living in an apartment and don't want to annoy my neighbors.

·
Registered
30,174 Posts

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
For a relatively small footprint (except for the sub) and about $800, I'd go with five Ascend Acoustics HTM-200 SEs for $508 (on sale but not for much longer) and a Hsu STF-1 sub for $321 (all prices include shipping). The sub is somewhat bulky, but the speakers have a footprint of only 6.5" x 6.375" (and a height of 11") and will outperform the other compact speakers mentioned in this thread (the sub is also of higher performance for the money). You won't be sorry, although you might want to seriously consider the Hsu STF-2 sub for just $61 more.

·
Registered
15,021 Posts
I have heard the Takes, Orbs, and Middies (the later two in my own room). I think I would take the Orbs over the Takes. IMO, the Middies left a lot to be desired.

In regards to the Hsu setup mentioned, I purchased one for my Parents and listen to it for movies and TV on a regular basis. I think the sound is excellent for the size. The downside is the center is not small, and the speakers are not aesthetically pleasing as something like the Orbs

The HTM-200SE's will outclass all them, but they are also a fair amount larger than all of them as well.

·
Registered
366 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig /forum/post/15465413

Energy Take Classic if you need TINY speakers all around

Four Energy C-50's + a C-C50 center if you can have slightly larger speakers (small bookshelves) would be $280 shipped from wwstereo.com:

http://www.wwstereo.com/default.aspx..._84__0_0_0_-1/
http://www.wwstereo.com/default.aspx..._84__0_0_0_-1/

That would leave you plenty of room in the budget for a killer sub

EDIT: looks like you went for it, great choice!! let us know how you like it once it's all set up!

the Energy C-50s seem like a pretty awesome deal compared to the other stuff i've found. what's the catch? are they comparable to larger units like the Polk Monitor 30s or something else?

·
Registered
29,410 Posts
The catch is the C-50 and other C-series speakers are being discontinued for the new Energy CB and CF line. So get them now at deeply discounted prices while they last.

Looks like the C-500 towers are now gone, at least from wwstereo.com.

·
Registered
366 Posts
thanks, i'll look for a local dealer to go have a listen today.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.