AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie question,

I have a a 7.1 capable Onkyo receiver and am trying to decide if I want to hook up my spare set of surround speakers to make a 7.1 setup. I'm just curious as to whether or not all of my 5.1 movies and my ps3 games will play in 7.1 surround sound or if I have to specifically have a movie/game recorded in 7.1. TIA

·
Registered
29,502 Posts
IF you do add two more speakers, move your current surrounds slightly forward in order to get better side-vs-rear separation in the surround field. All sources, irrespective of number of channels, can be scaled to your 7.1 layout (use PLIIx mode).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
IF you do add two more speakers, move your current surrounds slightly forward in order to get better side-vs-rear separation in the surround field. All sources, irrespective of number of channels, can be scaled to your 7.1 layout (use PLIIx mode).
But will I still be able to get dolbyhd lossless sound quality from these movies/games?

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
The only way I know of to get 7.1 Lossless Audio is a Blu Ray Player. Also you have to buy or rent 7.1 Blu Ray Discs. All other sources will be 7.1 simulated, which still sounds quite good.

If you have the room for 2 Surround Back Speakers, go for it. You will love it.

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
Fwiw, afaik, turning on whatever system you prefer to extract or create rear surrounds will not change the lossless incoming stuff. Onaccounta all those algorithms happen after everything is decoded to pcm. All the losslessness happens before the eq, timing, and channel creation occurs if only because then they only need to build on one program instead of a different one for every different encoder. Assuming you could reasonably build software to handle any of those issues with data reduced encoding. Not sure that is even possible, tbh. No recording or mixing software, however many hundreds or thousands of dollars it costs, fiddles with undecoded dolby or dts, afaik. Decode to pcm then go to work . . .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts