AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that 300 has Dolby 5.1 uncompressed and Dolby TrueHD soundtracks. Am I reading the specs correctly in that TrueHD is a superior soundtrack?

Background: I have a Yamaha V463 with the PS3 set to LPCM via HDMI.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
I would like to see these specs. From what I understand the end result should be the same. A bit for bit transfer of the original recording. The only difference is. True HD packages it in dolby's code where as UPCM needs no decoder.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
The TrueHD soundtrack is technically better because it is 24-bit I believe. Whether this results in better audio fidelity probably depends on the quality of your AV components.

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Dolby TrueHD

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
They should be the same, both are lossless audio, just with one you get the cool little light to show up on your receiver.

·
Registered
9,432 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjb16 /forum/post/14286079

They should be the same, both are lossless audio, just with one you get the cool little light to show up on your receiver.

Not on a PS3 you don't.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Both are identical. TrueHD is just PCM put in a fancy little zipped package, similar to taking a file on your PC and putting it into a .zip or .rar archive. Warner realized they've got the exact same video and audio encodes for the HD DVD and BD versions, so they added the (identical) PCM soundtrack to "make up" for the added value of the HD DVD's IME features.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj /forum/post/14286411

Not on a PS3 you don't.

I am aware you can't bitstream over HDMI, I was merely saying that they are the same sound, so one is not better than the other. The OP asked which soundtrack was better.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjb16 /forum/post/14286567

I am aware you can't bitstream over HDMI, I was merely saying that they are the same sound, so one is not better than the other. The OP asked which soundtrack was better.

Some claim having the reciever bit stream is better..Of course, since the PS3 can't, makes it to moot point.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts