AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to buy my first A/V receiver. Dennon AVR-1803 was recommended by one of the sales people @ Tweeter. Well, of course, I quickly found that I can get 1603 (5.1), 1803 (6.1) or 2803 (7.1), w/2803 being a few hundred $$ more. I am not sure yet where to put my 2 rear speakers anyway because of my liv room shape. So my question is - would 1803 be ok for the next 5-10 years or should I spend more $$ and get a 7.1 receiver in case some day I decide to open the walls and re-wire my liv room with 6 speakers?

Thanks for all,

Steven

·
Registered
632 Posts
I too would also like some help from more knowledgeable members.

My wife taught me a great lesson when we were married just a few years. Our daily china set had lost a few plates and my wife mentioned that to me. I said 'Go buy another set of china' after all we needed something to eat on. Well she did; she bought a new and much better set of good china and our old good china became our daily set.

Well, I'm in the process of planning a new home theater - living room just has too many compromises. I currently have a HK AVR500; the 7200 sounds so tempting. Besides which I'll still need music in the living room, right?

But since 5.1 seems to be the standard on DVDs what will 7.1 buy me?

Thanks in advance for your guidance - Mike

·
Registered
126 Posts
My personal opinion is that 5.1 is plenty, and all I intend to use for the forseeable future. Even with a 6.1 receiver, 5. 1 is all I'll use. 5.1 sounds great to me, and there are only so many speakers I really want to buy, not to mention clutter my room with.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Hello

I think the 2803 would be the best choice because if you ever need the extra channels you have them. 6.1 and 7.1 are the same. What I mean it is mono, rear center. The 7.1 set-up will be the same has 6.1, but it divides it between two speakers for people who have large rooms and or have to split it between two speakers. IMO I find 7.1 to be more seamless in the rear, and you get a bigger sound stage because you have two speakers. In my case I am going 7.1 because both areas take affect. One, my room is large 30x22x8. And second where the rear speakers are going to be there is a fireplace smack right in the middle of the back wall. There are not alot of DVDs with EX/ES. But as new ones come out there will be more. 5.1 will still be around for a long time to come. There are people who swear by 5.1 and will never go to 6.1/7.1. My suggestion would be get a receiver with more inputs channels, most if not all of the formats, and power. That way your receiver will last for many years until you decide to upgrade.If you have the money take a look at the Denon AVR-3803. IMO the 3803 will last longer than the ones above. Down the road you can even buy a separate amp and use the 3803 as a preamp.

Good-luck

GOLDEN-EAGLE!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Is it possible to use just one speaker as the rear center channel with a 7.1 receiver? I realize that most 7.1 receivers simply mimic the sound across both rear channels when playing in 6.1 mode.

I am debating a 6.1 vs. 7.1 setup, but do not really have all the room for 7 speakers. However, I would feel more comfortable buying a setup I could grow into.

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
Steven, since everything today will still be obsolete tomorrow, don't buy features you can't use for the foreseeable future. It is actually less expensive to buy low and wait for the features to trickle down. You may never do more than 5.1, so why buy more. And how bad would it be to spend another $500 or so 3 or 4 years from now if you change your mind. That receiver will have features and capabilities no unit today has regardless of cost. Oktane, since none of the receivers have true 7.1 processing (yet - stay tuned), I'd go 6.1 and live with it for several years.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.