AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my 50" plasma and now I have to have some surround sound. I am a complete audio moron so please forgive me if I ask something stupid. From reading a bunch of threads here it seems like a lot of people really like the Onkyo 780. Was all set to get it until I saw that it was 7.1 instead of 5.1. I have a decent size room, but the way it is set up the 7 speakers would just be a bit too much for me. I am able to spend around $500 for a system, and it has to be a htib - no DVD player needed, but will take one with the system if that is how it comes. I know it is better to piece together a system, but it just isn't going to happen for at least 6 months. I went to Best Buy to buy a 5.1 htib (please don't yell at me for buying one there :) ), but I had no clue which one to get. I primarily want it for tv and movies, so music is rather secondary. A lot of the stuff there was 6.1 and 7.1, so I figured I should ask the people here if getting the 7.1 is just something I have to do. If anyone knows of some good 5.1 systems (don't necessarily have to get at BB or similar), I would be very thankful, as I am just completely lost. For all I know they will all work OK, but just thought I should ask. May as well try to get the best system I can. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
Get a 7.1 and turn off the back speakers during setup. Run it as 5.1. If you want to hook them up later, you're all set. The 780 is a very nice htib.

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
RSD your basically settling for sub par speakers if you go with that Onkyo. They are essentially junk. The subwoofer has power but no musicality whatsoever, but is pretty good for action movies. The receiver is decent, but not to be confused with a good $250 dollar receiver.

Almost *any* speakers from a speaker manufacturer will beat these poorly engineered speakers. There are some GREAT cheap speakers out there, but these actually make music sound ugly. Look at budget Athenas, JBLs, Polks, HTD.COM level 2s, and then get yourself a receiver and a decent sub. 'nuff said.

·
Registered
240 Posts
rsd258

The 780 will be fine for your needs. Ppl who own and or who have actually heard the 780 are impressed with what you get for the price.

PS get it from vanns.com if you decide on it...

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
i personally can't stand when someone spends a bankroll on a really nice tv, then cuts corners on the HT system. you would have been better off spending say $500 less on the tv, you can still get something very nice, and spend say $500 more on the HT system. then you could have something very nice in both respects, instead of having a very nice HDTV and a HTiB system that could sound better...

the whole "what you get for the price" thing is fine, for someone on a tight buget that can't afford something better at the moment, but someone that spends a bankroll on a 50" plasma HDTV shouldn't be in that catagory. i'm not saying the 780 isn't a good HTiB system, i've never auditioned one myself. i'm saying that considering the HDTV you have, you should set your sights higher than a HTiB from the start, it defeats the purpose of having such a nice TV in the first place. it's like having a BMW with nice 15" wheels. yeah, they may be nice wheels, but they're still 15" wheels, no matter how you look at them...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you everyone for helping me.

I understand that piecing together a system is the better way to go, but I am limited by my knowledge. I couldn't begin to even have a basic conversation on how all the pieces work together and the best way to do it. I have read some threads in the other forums for speakers, receivers, etc., but they may as well have been talking greek. Some day I hope to have a nice audio set-up in my home, but it will have to be after I get much more informed on it from the likes of people in this forum. I only threw out the $500 because it seems like some of the systems people talk about fall in that price range. I'm not going to buy a $3000 bose system, but I can be flexible. I saw the Onkyo that people have mentioned, and the speakers seem pretty big. Something I could live with, but if you guys know of any other good options out there I would be willing to listen.

Thanks again for all the help.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
well, considering you think the Onkyo speakers are big, what exactly are you looking for? are you looking for something that is smaller, and may sound good but not very good? are you looking for something that is bigger, and will sound very good?

normally, larger speakers will sound better than smaller speakers, for several reasons. if you're married, normally females don't like large bulky speakers, which is also known here as the Wife Acceptance Factor or WAF for short. if you go with smaller compact speakers, whether it's because of the WAF or not, you are going to give up sound quality over larger bookshelf or floorstander speakers. don't get me wrong, you don't need to go out and spend $1000 on a pair of floorstanders, you can spend $150 for a pair of Infinity Primus 150's or $79 for a pair of Athena B1's and get very good sound. you can get something smaller, but it won't sound as good. it's up to you decide exactly which route you want to follow, form or funtion...

if you have any questions, feel free to ask, you can only learn something if you ask a question about it. don't think that because you're new to this, that you can't learn anything about it, unless you choose not to learn anything about it. everyone here at one point was new to it, and felt the same way as you do, myself included...

don't feel that a question is ever too stupid to ask, the only stupid questions are the ones you don't ask. if you ever have a question that you don't want to post it in a thread, feel free to PM someone. if we can help you better understand something, we will, but you won't learn anything with doing some research and asking some questions...

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsd258
From reading a bunch of threads here it seems like a lot of people really like the Onkyo 780.
How can this be if JohnR_IN_LA says it's "junk"? After all, he's basing his sole opinion on the Onkyo 670. Seems a bit misleading to me.

Oh, and there's a handful of other people that also think it's "junk" around here somewhere. I wonder where they are...

·
Registered
247 Posts
Ya guy, listen to John, 516, and me. 516 and myself both had the Onkyo 770's and quickly regretted buying them. We then both upgraded to very similar components systems very cheaply and I'm immensly satisfied with them, compared to the onkyo's.

If you buy the 780's, you will regret it in a few months and wish you went straight for the good stuff. Take it from me, I was in your exact same position, I had just bought a 50" plasma and wanted to go the cheap, easy route for speakers. It's just not worth it, though. For $500 you can get good entry-level speakers that will sound way better then any HTIB. The only drawback is that it takes a little time and effort. However, you have taken the first step by posting and asking here, so good luck!

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Yes, decent separates own htib's. The difference is amazing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Guys,

Another Junior in the Audio world. So i have around $600 to Spend and would be grateful for your recommendations on good `$300 receivers and good ~$300 Speakers [Full Set of Speakers w/ subwoofer] .... Anyone with some ideas ?

I've checked through other threads but they mention bolth used / new as part of line up and thats not easy to try to shop.

Thanks in advance

B

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
Blade,

There are a bunch of threads asking the same questions. The answers will be the same. For $600 look into the Rocket Tykes, Athena Micras and Pt.5s w/ Dayton sub.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pion
516 and myself both had the Onkyo 770's and quickly regretted buying them.
actually, i had the Onkyo 760, and i was fine with it for over a year. until, of course, i registered on the AVS Forums and realized how sub-par it really was...

and Bladerunner39, the solution is simple, the Rocket Tykes for $399 and a refurb Onkyo 502 for $149 will set you back less than your $600 budget...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK, so I got the 780 and set it up (partially). It sounds good to me, but I really don't have any frame of reference. Now when I start to do the better upgrading, will I start by adding better speakers to my system, or will I be scrapping the whole thing and starting over ? I am beginning to see how people really get into this.

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
Enjoy it for a while. When you get the itch start swapping out the speakers. Audition first. The front LRC should match, then go surrounds, sub and if you want to sell the whole system, finally the receiver. That's how I did it, but start wherever you want. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi rsd258,

For what it is worth I was in the same situation two weeks ago, just did not have time to buy all the bits and put them together.

So made a leap of faith and for a little extra got the Onkyo HT-L970, had it all setup in 1 hour weeks ago, and Wow, the sound is excellent :) , very crisp, a nice all rounder - just needed to adjust few things (custom sound setup for Std. TV input, HDTV, DVD, the PC PVR etc)..

Here are my notes on this HTB;

- It is a 6.1 which should be good enough for a while.

- it has Dolby Digital, DTS-ES Matrix 6.1, Dolby Pro Logic II, DTS-ES Discrete 6.1, Dolby Pro Logic IIx, Dolby Digital Surround EX decoding.

- 6 DVD changer which is useful, also DVD player looks better than my old sony.

- The receiver has S-VIDEO/composite to Component built in up upscaler.

- It has 2 component and 5 S-Video Inputs which is nice for game consoles etc.
- It looks awesome with my Plasma TV - LG 42PX12XC

- Easy initial setup, but has lots of advanced options.

- Most of all, one can upgrade each piece separately later on.

- The sub is powered externally

The only thing I am worried about is the 6 DVD changer, so I went back to the shop and added 3 year warranty just to be sure.

But as always it might be a good idea to check it out with your favorite CD / DVD in a good home theater place that has fully setup (I checked mine at hhgreg - so I had a good refrence when I set it up at home) as everyone has different standerds as well as wish lists.

Hope this helps…

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.