AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have purchased a Dennon AVR 1912 and have LG 55" 3D tv and will be getting a 3D blu ray player. I have my basement framed out and now and trying to figure out speaker placement and what kind of speakers to buy.

- My budget for speakers is around $1000 but preferably less

- room is huge and in an L shape, T is in the corner of the room at an angle.

- There is a 40' wall on both of the outside walls and the rooms are both 20' wide.

- Would like to have great sounding set up for movies and music, but not at ear blasting levels.

- We will have our couchs in a semi circle towards the TV.

I know this room is huge and i will not be able to fill it with music.we will have our couchs in a semi circle towards the TV.

I was going to wire it for 7.1 and have satelite speakers from the ceiling, and floor standing speakers in front with a center channel on a shelf below the TV.

Any suggestions on a good 5.1 or 7.1 speaker set up that would get me started for now with some good sound?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
Yeah, with that big of a room, with that tight of a budget. That's tough.

For movies, the sub is the most important channel (some people say center, but this is just my oppinion), and for music I listen primarily in 2ch, so L/R's are the most important.

I would check the used market personally. I'll used my speakers as an example, but not saying you have to buy my brand. I picked up a pair of Infinity beta-50's, five beta-20's, and an SW12 for right around your budget. Granted I had to shop for a while to find the good prices, but still.

Search through craigslist and ebay for a while to find deals in your area. Even if you find a good 5.0 or 7.0 setup, that could work well. You can add a good quality sub or two later if you think you can add more money to your HT. If you think $1k is it, then get the sub too.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Any suggestions on a subwoofer, I have some decent speakers I can use for now for the front and surround speakers, but still clueless about subwoofers, have never owned any before.

·
The Village Idiot
9,748 Posts
Subs work different than other speakers. A sub has to pressurize the room to give you low frequency effects (LFE). The larger the room the larger the sub needs to be and connecting spaces that are not closed off need to be figured in as well. A pair of subs will likely be needed to get adequate LFE's in that large a room. A large pair.

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
Subs in that big of a room... It tends to be expensive. The setup I'm working on building for a room smaller than your 20x40 room involves five 15's. Yes it's an odd number, but I am running four MFW-15 drivers off one channel of an amp, and a single, more robust, SDX-15 off the other channel. Placement will be a Gheddes approach.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.