AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
there may be a great thread already addressing this question, but i could not find it. i currently have an onkyo system with a zone 2 set up in an adjacent room that is using the two middle speakers of an otherwise 7.1 system. i am moving to a townhome that will not be able to utilize the zone 2 function. for this reason i am preparing to use all 7 speakers for a 7.1 system.

the problem with this is that the room is an awkward shape and i don't know exactly how to set it up. so before i even go there i'm asking the easy question of whether or not i should even bother with the 7.1, or if the 5.1 is going to be ample for me 90% of the time? thanks.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
If it's possible to do 7.1, most will tell you go for it. It adds a subtle dimension to the surround sound. However, if your room will not accommodate a proper 7.1 layout, then a good 5.1 will trump it. FWIW, I ran 7.1 (rear surrounds) at my old place because the room allowed for it. In my new place didn't have enough room for rear surrounds, so I went to a traditional 5.1 layout with added front heights (for a 7.1 layout of a different type.)

Can you post a diagram of the awkwardly shaped room? That would give us something to definitively say yes or no.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sure! here is kind of what it looks like. i'll see what you guys think and then let you know what i was thinking. i have 2 onkyo speaker stands and it is possible to have 2 more if i need them.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa /forum/post/19555032

If it's possible to do 7.1, most will tell you go for it. It adds a subtle dimension to the surround sound. However, if your room will not accommodate a proper 7.1 layout, then a good 5.1 will trump it. FWIW, I ran 7.1 (rear surrounds) at my old place because the room allowed for it. In my new place didn't have enough room for rear surrounds, so I went to a traditional 5.1 layout with added front heights (for a 7.1 layout of a different type.)

Can you post a diagram of the awkwardly shaped room? That would give us something to definitively say yes or no.

any thoughts?

you guys can ignore the picture if you don't know, but i'm still searching for an answer as to whether i should do 5.1 or 7.1? thanks.

p.s. where did everybody go???

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
It's a tough room (pun not intended.)

Can speakers be mounted on the wall where the staircase ends? That might accommodate 7.1.

The side surrounds are the toughest. You will probably have to put them on stands, and the one that has the wide open dining room behind may get in the way.

Another 5.1 possibility is to put one in the corner to the right of the door/window/door and a corresponding speaker next to the staircase, but that is dependent on whether a speaker can be mounted there.

If none of those can be done, it's just not a room where surround sound is easy to pull off.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa /forum/post/19581992

It's a tough room (pun not intended.)

Can speakers be mounted on the wall where the staircase ends? That might accommodate 7.1.

The side surrounds are the toughest. You will probably have to put them on stands, and the one that has the wide open dining room behind may get in the way.

Another 5.1 possibility is to put one in the corner to the right of the door/window/door and a corresponding speaker next to the staircase, but that is dependent on whether a speaker can be mounted there.

If none of those can be done, it's just not a room where surround sound is easy to pull off.

thanks for the response.

i don't think 5.1 would be too hard. i have stands and can just put them at the corners of the couch basically. i know ideally they should be a few feet back, but it's just not going to happen i don't think. hopefully the mic that the onkyo uses to set up the optimal speaker output will configure it so that it makes up for the rear speakers not being further away.

should i even try for 7.1? where the stairs end is actually open and not a wall, so i don't think that would work.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
No, go for 5.1.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts